Ice Everywhere






We woke to an ice covered world. Colder than cold temps that made me rush through my chores. Gates frozen shut, chains that would not move, water buckets froze solid, requiring some serious kicking to break free . I am so thankful for the heat of the wood stove and the comfort of a warm home. The goats were thankful for a barn full of hay to bed down in. They looked so cozy this morning when I went out to feed them. Seeing them settled in giant nests of hay.
It is a perfect morning for a steaming mug of hot chocolate with my breakfast of hot cereal.
Life is good. Emery does not have to go to work until the ice starts to melt, the same for Casi. Melanie and I decided to skip walking this morning, its a curl up with a book sort of morning.

The temperature
The hex sign on the barn, catching the morning light
Leaves dipped in ice
Frozen paperwhites
The window of the milk house that had the marks of Jack Frost
Juniper berries
The garden produce on ice
A neighbor boy, in shorts mind you, riding his bike down the ice covered hill. Right after I snapped this picture from the warmth of my living room, he fell right on the ice, got back up and rode again down the hill. Must have some thick blood running through his veins. I was cold watching him !

Comments

Hazel said…
Wow you are almost as cold as we are here, but we were spared the ice. What is this doing to your garden?
R. Aastrup said…
Your weather has gone crazy! Pretty pictures, though =) We have a snow day today, so I've enjoyed a leisurely morning...now, I should get some work done...
Marianna said…
Your world looks like mine this morning:) My cats are currently going nuts as the ice is starting to melt and fall off the roof making an amazing amount of racket.

Love the hex sign. I'm completely fascinated with the history and meaning of them.

There are two 6th grade boys at the kids school that have made a pact to wear shorts every day of this school year. I shiver when I see them on days like yesterday (very cold drizzle) wearing shorts! I'm not really sure why parents allow such a thing to be honest.
It was six below zero where I live, yesterday. Today, it is in the high thirties, but the wind is in the high thirties too!
Love your hex sing. I have had one on my barn for over 20 years, but it is getting very faded. Might be time for a new one. Where did you purchase yours?
Hope your garden isn't ruined.
ellemenope said…
Little boys bounce. And they always wear shorts. I did a triathlon where we had to get out of the pool and bike in a blizzard (this was in Wyoming, there is always a blizzard in Wyoming) I kid you not -- one kid got out of the pool and jumped on his bike in his pool suit and started to do the bike leg. He ended up coming back. I think it would have to be that extreme to get a kid to give up on his shorts!
Val said…
RAin, Rain, RAin- that is all we see. The temp is suppose to drop but not too low. I would love to have some snow but not ice. Stay warm and cozy on this special day.
The Stricklands said…
We did't get as much ice, but it has been coooooold here for a couple of days. We have snuggled in with books, library movies and a warm fire. My oldest son is on a business trip to Wichita Falls, and he has been stuck in a hotel room for two days because of the ice - poor guy! I have missed walking with my friends in the mornings. I love winter, but I truly want the snow instead of ice. Stay warm and have a wonderful day.
Patty said…
Hi Nancy, we have had hex signs for many years but the one in the picture was a find at Goodwill last week....$1 There were two of them so I snatched both up, the other one is pretty too.
aimee said…
Love the photo of the ice covered juniper berries. Beautiful:) TY!
Stay warm, stay safe--
Blessings, A
Renee said…
We had no where we had to be this am so we had a blast playing outside in this.

How does your garden fair in this type of freeze?
Lucy said…
Beautiful pictures Patty, I van deel the cold. It's cold here too and I love it. When there isn't wind! Wind makes everything nasty cold :-)
Wow, Patty, what a great Goodwill find!
I am also a "treasure seeker" at Goodwill. With the economy as it is, Goodwill is a treasure in itself!

Popular Posts