Roses



Its hard to imagine, but we have snow flurries in our forecast for tomorrow. Nothing major, but any snow this time of year is rather odd for us. They said on the news there have been snow flurries in North Texas three times since the late 1890's. I have never seen snow on the bluebonnets.

We may even have a freeze. I am hoping that we don't have a freeze, snow would be fine but a freeze could be a problem for us since our fruit trees are loaded with fruit and the grape vines are full of tiny grapes. I have plans to try my hand at wine making with all the grapes this year.

I can cover the tomato plants and the tender herbs but covering our fruit trees would be kind of hard.


My rose bushes are all in budding right now, full of buds and many flowers. I enjoyed picking bouquets for the house today. Walking from bush to bush in my long skirt, basket in hand, cutting the prettiest flowers. I felt old fashioned, a bit like someone from long ago, as though I had stepped back in time. Filling the basket with beauty and humming the whole time, just random bits of many tunes, content in the moment. Roses from the garden are such a delight to me. The fragrance, the color and then the petals to be dried for sachets or made into beads.


Since its so cold, unseasonably so, we decided to keep the chicks in the house for a couple more days. The roses help cover the "scent" of a wash tub full of chicks and one duckling. Actually the little yellow balls of fluff don't really smell bad, you just have to keep their bedding changed often and then its just fine.

Comments

Shellie said…
It's so good to hear that Melanie and Mei Ling are OK.

We're expecting 1-2 inches of snow here. Hard to believe it's April and we had near 80 degree temps on Monday.

Popular Posts