Easter Bonnets








Hats are on of my favorite things in life. Big brimmed, small and understated, it doesn’t matter, I just love hats. I wear them too. I remember on a flight one time a couple decades ago, I was dressed up, traveling clothes as they used to call them. Red blazer, black dress slacks, black and red high heels, white blouse, and of course a black hat with red trim. An elderly woman came up to me and said, “Dear, so few women dress for travel these days and I had to come over to you and tell you that you made my day with your lovely outfit, it makes me remember my own youth and traveling adventures, thank you dear and keep on dressing up.” Her compliment has stayed with me all these years. it’s a funny thing, but putting on a hat, not a ski hat or wool beanie, but a Ladies hat, makes you feel good. Smartly dressed, put together, chic. I started my girls wearing hats when they were little. Good hats in hat boxes, one or two a year.
A Fall/ Winter hat and then a Spring/Summer hat. They always behaved like little ladies with their fancy hats on, much like we as women behave a bit more refined with one on our heads.
Easter is approaching fast, do you have your Easter Bonnet yet ? Tell me about your Easter Bonnet ! I would love to hear.
I will be wearing my all time favorite lavender brimmed hat for Easter. Will provide a picture later. Its in our guest room which is occupied at the time by a very pregnant sleeping lady : )
Here is a cute poem about an Easter Bonnet.

Mama’s Easter Bonnet
Beatrice Wheeler Baier

It was Easter Sunday morning,
And Mama had a bonnet, A mountain of pink flowers
With Bows and Ribbons on it.
We girls all had pink dresses,
And we got up bright and early,
And Mama used the curling iron
To make our hair all curly.
While Mama helped us dress
And tied each satin sash,
Father put his white shirt on
And waxed his long mustache.
While Mama brushed our curls
And tied them up with bows, Father rubbed his shiny shoes
And brushed his brand-new clothes.
When all the girls were ready,
Ribboned, brushed and dressed,Father draped his watch-chain
Festoon-like on his vest.
But Mama hadn’t time
To do justice to her bonnet,
So quickly pushed back her hair,
She popped her bonnet on it.
She stuck it with a hat pin,
And we were on our way,
On Easter Sunday morning,
A lovely April day.
Father was so proud,
Impeccably he’d dressed.
Mama looked at Father,
And she was quite impressed.
When the last hymn had been sung,
And we rose to leave our pew,
A lady talked with Mama…
It was then that Mama knew !
The lady said to Mama
That she liked her bonnet so,
But wasn’t it just backward
Of the way it ought to go ?
Oh, yes it was ! Poor Mama !
She had worked on us so long
That she hadn’t time to notice
That her bonnet was on wrong.

Pictures today. . .
My mother holding her hat
The girls in Beverly Hills with new Easter Bonnets
My sisters and I in our spring time finery. I am the one in front.
Melanie in black and white
And not to forget the boys in the family, my dad when he tried out for the “Little Rascals”

Comments

Your dad is so adorable :) as is the rest of your family...I love that first shot of your mom...reminds me of Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man, standing with her broad brimmed hat in the wind :)
Patty said…
Thanks, I think my dad was cute too. Old pictures are such fun
Unknown said…
Thank-you for honoring our Mother, Beatrice Wheeler Baier, by including her name with the poem. She would be pleased to know her writings continue to provide pleasure. Baier Family
Patty said…
Hello Chuck,
How wonderful to hear from a family member of a poet I really enjoy.
That poem is one of my favorites !

Popular Posts