Catching Up

There are times when, tough stuff is going on and its just hard to articulate properly with words on "paper".  This has been one of those times.  We recently learned that Mei-Lings problems with her spine have escalated, requiring surgery as soon as it could be scheduled.  In the meantime, she can not run, jump, take a bath, (for fear of falling), no going over bumps in the road while she is a passenger.  Lots of restrictions and for those that love her, a deep concern regarding the dangers of the surgery, that will concentrate at the base of her brain.   They will also use one of her ribs for the bone graft.  A long recovery is expected.   She stayed with us last weekend, while Mom and Dad took a very well deserved, seriously needed weekend away.  However, both are so concerned that they didn't exactly find that rest they were looking for.   One of the first things Mei-Ling said to me when she arrived with her little suitcase was, "Grammie, can we make some cookies for my daddy ?  He is so worried about me, that I want to do something nice for him."  That is the kind of child Mei is.  We had a wonderful weekend, with a few moments of me trying to maintain a level of normalcy, despite the reprimand for running or hanging over the chair.  She had a talk with me, as she called it.  "Grammie, I am glad I am having this operation, you don't need to worry.  After the operation, I will be able to run, jump, take bubble baths and even take dancing lessons. Best of all, I can do P.E. in school next year instead of always having to just sit in the classroom."   She has to wear a cervical collar right now (24/7) and it doesn't look pleasant to me but she assured her mom and I about the benefits. " When I get tired, look, it holds my head up for me !"  The surgery will take place a week from Monday.  Of course your prayers and good thoughts will be appreciated.  Its going to be a new surgical procedure, but done by one of the countries leading pediatric neurosurgeons.  Needless to say, her prayer quilt will be making the trip to the hospital one more time.  How I love looking at all those squares and knowing each one was made with a prayer for our little one.   I feel peace about the surgery, no fears or worries, but I do hate the idea of our precious grand-daughter having to go through such an experience.  I know the recovery will not be an easy one, but also I know her doctors will not let her be wracked with pain.   
Amid all the worries, we have had fun too.   Picking onions in the garden. Making cupcakes, and little coconut cream pies. Out to eat, shopping for some new outfits and shoes, Pizza with everyone !  Watercolor painting, drawing, Chinese food, Starbucks, playing my little pony, (I was the hairdresser) and just having fun.  
















Comments

WVSimplicity said…
Patty, I too hate to see your little granddaughter go through this surgery. So precious. Bless her heart for being so concerned about her Daddy being worried. I prayed for her and her family and those who love this little one. Stay strong and give her a hug from a stranger who has her best interest at heart.
WVSimplicity said…
Patty, I too hate to see your little granddaughter have to go through this surgery. So precious. Bless her heart for being so concerned about her Daddy being worried. I prayed for her and her family and those who love this child. Stay strong and trust in the Lord. Please give her a hug from a stranger who has her best interest at heart.
I am sorry to be learning this new threat to Mei-Ling. I'm sure there must be the moments, when in spite of faith, you fear for her future. She seems so wise and patient beyond her years. Mei-ling and you and your family will continue in my prayers. So difficult at times to say, "Thy will be done."
Anonymous said…
I am so sorry Mei-Ling has to go through this too. She has such a mature attitude for a little one. God will be with her and the doctors. I will be praying for her successful surgery and fast recovery. I have a question- Did that little girl eat all that Chinese food on her plate???
God bless, Kathy in Illinois
Patty said…
She ate it all and then had a plate of fruit for dessert !
Rose said…
I will keep mei in my prayers, beautiful pictures of a beautiful little girl x
aimee said…
I will definitely be praying for Mei-Ling and your family. She has an amazing attitude and a gentle spirit.
God bless,
Aimee
OneOldGoat said…
Definitely prayers for little Mei-Ling and all the family. I pray for the drs as well. God bless.

Beth
Cathy said…
I will be praying for Mei-ling also. I love all the picture but my favorite is the floral room with her sleeping. I would love a precious room like that for my Annabel. I come everyday to see for updates and felt something wasn't just right!
Peacemom said…
Patty, my prayers will include Mei and her whole family. She is so lucky to have found her parents, and this is His will being done. Sending healing prayers and prayers of comfort for you all. Her spirit shines through it all, what an amazing child and gift from God. God bless, ~Vonnie, NH
I missed this when I found your wildflower post.....I am so sorry that Mei-Ling has to go through more surgery! She seems, from all you write, to be a wonderful little girl, loving, helpful, positive, compassionate toward others. But still lots of fun just as a little girl should be. I am praying for her.
Patty, could you please post the pictures of the prayer quilt again? I can't find them......
Rosemary said…
Dear Patty,
Sweet,sweet, Mei-ling, I am praying for her and the entire family. She gives so much love.

Popular Posts