One of the joys of living on a little homestead for me is that I get to stay home and don't have to go off to work.
Yesterday as I was making bread, the house filled with that aroma that calls to you. Baking bread is almost like the call of a siren. Beckoning, calling and in addition creating an atmosphere of hominess. The aroma of bread baking almost makes old fashioned times tangible to us in this modern day .
There are no bread machines in my house, just good old fashioned large bowls and then lots of woman power to kneed the dough. I like to pray for my family while I kneed the dough and often while making my bread I hear the line from the Prophet by Gibran run through my head, " work is love made visible" Its so true for me.
When the bread was a bit cooled, I sat down in late afternoon and had a snack of milk and warm bread with butter.
Sure was yummy.

Comments

Sunny said…
I had such a nice comment and somehow erased it.

Dr. Sang Lee said, in one of his lecures on the importance of love, that the fragrance of bread baking is so powerful you almost don't even have to eat it to gain the benefit.
Anonymous said…
I used to bake bread by hand, but now I have a wonderful breadmaker. It has sat idle for over a year now, and looking at your beautiful bread, I'll bring it out again. I'll put it on a timer so that the children will have fresh bread when they wake up. I love reading your blog - I'm starting from the beginning to catch all your wisdom so I can share it with my family :-)
Anonymous said…
I used to make bread by hand when the children were little, then stopped. Then a few years ago I got a breadmaker and loved it - so quick for a large and hungry family. I can fully understand your making your bread by hand and being able to pray, think and slow down in such a busy world. Sometimes my head is almost screaming from everything that's running around in there. Hand-making bread would be a good place to find calm and peace.
Anonymous said…
Ha, I see I made a comment on this post already - see, my brain is completely full to overloading :-)

Popular Posts