No matter what the thermometer said, we need to be planning for cold weather. Yesterday we had our first of three loads of wood delivered. We buy our wood from a nice older man who sells only downed dead wood. We prefer to burn it for lots of reasons. The two main reasons being, it burns clean, and its easier on the environment.
It seemed ironic to me to be hauling wood clear across the property and stacking it in the woodshed, with the temperature so high. It was a sweaty work out for me but felt good to have it all done. In another month we will be using the woodstove but today that seemed a long way off. The man we get our wood from said that he is having a record amount of calls for wood. People are afraid of the energy costs for this winter. Sure am glad we heat with wood ! All this wood reminds me of the verse in Proverbs 26:20 Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down.

Comments

Philly Farmgirl said…
I can so relate to the all who are worried about the heating costs. I really miss my woodstove right now. Ours actually burnt both wood and coal. I loved the coal on long winter nights.Then my beloved and I would not play,"Honey,it's your turn to start the fire." °Ãœ°
I even split some of our wood. Belived it or not I really did not mind that part. I felt so empowered for some reason.
Sunny said…
Oh boy, that's hot! We have a fireplace but have only had to heat with it once when the furnace went out on a holiday. It did pretty good!
Sunny said…
Hey philly farmgirl! Did you see that Kenny Chesney and wife split?
Patty said…
I understand about the feeling good splitting wood. Something very satisfing about chopping wood, hauling it in and then being able to be warmed by it. An old swedish saying is.. he who cuts his own wood is twice warmed by it"
Just heard natural gas for us is jumping 20% next month. Oy vey !
Anonymous said…
I really miss not having a wood fire. We had one in our house in South Australia, but here in Queensland it's just not needed except perhaps for one or two nights so it's just not worth it. We wrap outselves up in blankets and sleeping bags on those evenings :-) Hopefully we'll move back to a place that needs a wood fire/stove one day.

Popular Posts