Soap Making Day




Last week I rendered 10 lbs of beef fat, and today I made soap with it.  I think I have been making good old fashioned lye soap for about 20 years now, so its not a big deal, except for the time.  Stirring the soap for 30 minutes after all the preparations to get to that point, makes it a time consuming project, especially while keeping the stove feed while the soup is cooking on top, which required a couple trips to the wood pile on the back porch.  Thankful that my dear husband keeps about half a cord on the back porch all winter, so no need for me to head out to the wood shed every day.   Its a good feeling having the soap made.  Smells good too.  Scented with orange oil and just a tiny tiny bit of cinnamon oil and clove oil.  They are hard on the sensitive skin if you use much.  Its been a nice day, lots accomplished and yet, I never had the feeling of being pressed for time.  Just the way I like my days !  

Comments

aimee said…
I admire ladies who make soap the old fashioned way. I have made glycerin soap (melt and pour), but have been a bit hesitant to try the other because of the lye involved.
Glad your daughter Melanie is better!
Advent Blessings,
Aimee

Popular posts from this blog

Retirement Joy

The Good Life

Amish & Mennonite Catalogs