A Question

Asked myself this question this morning, what takes us more of my time, thinking about the food I should or should not eat, which way of eating is best, or my relationship to God ?




Luke 12:22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear."

If a modern day guru of sorts said what Jesus said, we would think he was being irresponsible in making such a statement.  We are consumed these days by concepts such as vegan/non vegan.  Protein/no protein.   Carbs/low carbs.  Fat/low fat or no fat.  Organic/non organic.  I have no desire to discuss the merits of any food plans, been there done that. Yet, most of us never have realized that food has become the whole focus of so many conversations, and so many times we stock and restock our pantries with whatever foods we just heard about on the television or in the news.  It's mind boggling.   It's peer pressure extraordinaire  !  If I was bent on finding a subtle plot to take peoples minds off of God, I would guess what to eat and what not to eat, would be high on the list.

Comments

Carole said…
Yes, I always watch with an astounded eye, the latest food crazes or fashion with their cohort of "don't eat this - eat that - count your calories - don't eat fat - butter is evil - this is unhealthy - the villain in the obesity epidemic is (carbs, corn syrup, additives you name it).
I mean, just eating in moderation and ENJOYING it is a good start. Unfortunately many people haven't been educated to cooking and basic good nutrition and never saw their mothers preparing a meal, anticipating something good coming out of the oven and are not used to not gobbling down everything in one go. (well, it's hard to resist a good homemade something coming out of the oven sometimes).
The saddest part is these people are taken advantage of in a way and spend a lot of money on diets, medicine etc. And society should not put as much focus on being skinny as on being healthy.
I could go on and on...
Simply Shelley said…
Very true post....I agree with so much of what you said here...blessings
I think so many of us have tried different eating plans: vegetarian, or gluten-free, or raw foods. I suspect all have their merits and for some people may mean the difference between good health and weight control--or the lack of it.
We seek ways to improve our diet and still be reasonable. Garden-fresh food is important to us as is the concept of not over-eating.
Anonymous said…
Anything and I mean anything that takes our focus from Our Lord is not beneficial to our lives.

Just last week, I was consumed with my health, since it began to deteriorate. I focused on it so much that I pushed everything else out of my life for that week.

Now, I look back and realize how empty I feel.

Thank you so much for sharing Patty, and how wonderful that your precious grand-baby is doing so much better. Praising Our Lord for His Mercy and His Faithfulness!!!

Maria
Bren said…
Focusing on what I eat these days has put my mind more on God....how He would have me eat and in what form. All the processed foods I have lived on for my whole life (I was raised on them) have caused me to have to reevaluate. It is probably not something you have to think about so hard, because you have always lived a pretty healthy lifestyle, cooking from scratch and living on foods you grow. It has taken a terrible toll on my health, so it has become a spiritual journey for me also. I agree, it can take over if you let it....just like any other main focus in our life (hobbies, internet, friends, housework....the list goes on).

Popular Posts