A New Year



At midnight tonight we welcome the New Year.  Many of us make resolutions that we keep and many of us make them just because we feel like we should but in the end,, never give them a second thought.   Each day we live, we should resolve to do better, be kinder, have more compassion, see the blessings in life more plainly and understand the power of our words.  We don't need to wait for New Years to make resolutions, they should be done daily, perhaps in our prayer time, our quiet time of the day when we are honest with ourselves.  Maybe that is my resolution, to resolve daily to check my heart, my goals, the importance I place on things in my life.   Earlier this year I began praying a different sort of prayer for people in my life, even those that sorta irritate something within me.  Instead of praying for specifics, I pray for each person that comes to mind in a more complete way, praying that their lives be filled with love, joy, peace, hope and serenity. This sort of praying removes me personal agenda from the picture. Praying for a person to be filled with hope, joy, love and serenity, covers all ground, including illnesses.   And the best part of praying like this, it works on our hearts.   It brings to life our need for those things in us, for others, for ourselves.
I get off track. Its easy to do in this pressure filled, fast paced, high performance modern life we are all part of in one way or another.  Simply by reading this post, you are on a computer, a marvel of modern invention but also a major time thief.  A major distraction much of the time. 

One good thing about the New Year, there is so much talk about making changes in our life, we take stock of where we are, even if only for a few seconds.  Its a reality bite moment.  One we can use or just toss to the side.
I need changes made, not afraid to admit that.   On a day to day level, I need to get back on track with my walking and  get past all the holiday time sweet eating !   I need to slow down a bit each day and breathe deeply and appreciate the silence of a moment.   I  need to fall in love all over again with simplicity in all its beautiful forms.   These things I will do.  
Happy and Blessed New Year to all of you !

Comments

Wishing you, Patty, and your wonderful family a happy and healthy 2012 full of simple blessings!
God bless, Kathy in Illinois
Gina said…
Patty:

Oh, how I LOVE reading your posts. This past New Year's weekend (even before reading your post), I though of you, a person I don't really even know. But, I lit a candle beneath a hurricane lantern globe, turned my lights off, sat in my soft comfy chair by the window, and enjoyed the simple moment and glows of the evening light. Thank you for continuing to inspire me and keep me grounded in a very busy and hectic world. Blessings to you and your family!

Popular Posts