Monday Morning Ramble









Gray skies, gusty winds, leaves flying and storms on the way.  Thunderstorms for us, snow in the panhandle.  I wish we would get some snow, always makes it feel a bit more like Christmas time if there is snow flying.  Even though I have been gone from New England for over 2 decades now, I miss it at times.  I miss the quiet that comes with a snow storm, and the way the snow sparkles in the sun.  I miss preparing for storms, that kind of excitement that is beyond definition.   I miss what wet mittens on the radiator smells like and how your cheeks get that rosy red color in the cold and how your face feels when you first walk in the warm house after shovelling snow for most of the morning.  I miss the need for lots of warm hand knit articles of clothing.  I miss lacing up my gum soled fur lined boots that never made any sort of fashion statement beyond the word, "practical". 
I remember how excited I would be to see that the shingles of Mr Gould's roof matched the sky, that was a sure sign snow was on the way.   Perhaps I am a bit homesick for the things of my childhood, for those familiar joys found in winter.  
So, today I look out at the gray sky and wish for real winter.  For snow and icicles hanging from the roof top.  For watching my father stand outside in the freezing cold with a hose, filling the backyard skating rink he was making for us.  For snow caves and using that amazing snow block maker my Dad made out of scraps of wood one evening in the cellar.  Yes, even at my age, when the snow does arrive in North Texas, I go out and play.  I walk in that stillness and hushed silence, feeling the magic of the winter and fall in love with snow all over again.  And, yes, I have made a snow angel in my 50's and drove down unplowed streets, smiling all the while.
The bottom photo proves we can have some good snow here in Texas !

Comments

aimee said…
I understand how you feel about snow Patty. I truly wish some for you (and us too) this winter.
I always enjoy the photos of birds and other wildlife that you post; they are incredible and they bless me greatly!
Blessings,
Aimee
PS: Will your beautiful tomte make a post visit this year? :)
Unknown said…
i can completely relate to your longing for a "real" winter. We have lived here in south/central KS for over 20 years but at times i long for the deep, quiet snows of my childhood. All of the sights, sounds and smells you mentioned i remember, also. Thanks for sharing.
Becky said…
I'm longing for the same things! That hush of a walk in the snow would be so wonderful for Christmas.
Patty; I think childhood in New England creates the quintesential Christmas. I poured out a bit of nostalgia in my own blog post yesterday--bittersweet describes many of our memories. Your descriptions of snow are lovely.

Popular Posts