Are We Living In End Times ?

Another big earthquake !  Last night before bed, I saw on the news that a strong 7.4 shook parts of Alaska.   My first thought was Matthew 24:6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.   Then I was reminded of how many times I have thought about this verse in the past 2 years or so.   In a moment, I felt fearful.  I don't want the world to end.  I want to see my great grandchildren and grow old together with Emery.   In truth, that moment of fear came also from worry that I am not ready.  Yes, I know, its not by our acts that we are saved.  Got that, but I do think our actions or probably more important, our lack of good actions, play a part in how we will be judged.   I think end times come in every ones life anyway.  We die and that's the end for us.  These world events that send a shiver of uncertainty through us are good, they serve to make us look at our lives.  What is important to us, a new kitchen or is it something far more life changing, building a school in a third world country or helping to provide medications for someone in need.  Perhaps buying life changing books for an afternoon school program.   It reminds us that there is a difference between need and want.  What I want, is not always something I need.  It reminds us that peace in our hearts is the most precious possession we can ever have.  These earth shaking's and disasters remind us we are not in control of everything and even the smallest level of OCD is futile.  It reminds us that our loved ones are gifts, priceless gifts that are tied to our hearts by cords of love.  The world around us with all its chaos and strife do not have to be part of our lives.  We can choose to live differently, choose to just view all the hurried pace out there, can be seen separated from our lives, as if we are just viewing the craziness outside the window of our peaceful existence.  I remember feeling that way when we were part of the "plain" world.  The "world" seemed separated from my life.  Its not a bad feeling.  So, if we are living in the End Times,  we can still find peace and lay all worry and concerns about that at the feet of the Master, for Him to take upon His shoulders for us.  We can still embrace peace and joy and contentment in a world that is so full of conflict. 

Comments

Good post, Patty.
After decades of living with "time of the end" warnings and admonitions, it suddenly hit me that, as you say, the end comes for each of us with our death. We are given our one life, be it longer or shorter--and in it we have the chance to learn and change and grow and share.
Patty Sumner said…
Patty, found your blog while browsing Blog Land. I so agree! Sometimes the only comfort we can have during times of turmoil is knowing that our Master is in control and that in the end we will be with him. Thanks for the encouraging words. Blessings from another Patty in the Mountains of good ole Ky!
Aunt Jenny said…
I enjoyed this post as well!
I do my best right now, while there are really not fun things going on in my life along with the good, to remain as positive as possible and be thankful for the little things. And trusting that the Lord is in control sure helps me feel positive.
have a great week!
Always something to think about...I like the way your mind works, but I fear everyone's does not. Some people do not have minds that spring from thoughts of end times to realizing we should all be living as if every minute was our last, living lives of true values and loving deeds. I have met people who just get caught up in thinking about end times, obsessing about it, searching for signs. And this, I am sure, is not how we should be living.
Cathi said…
Hmmmm. Your black background & picture are quite depressing.
Patty said…
Hi Cathi I apologize that the photo and background evoke such an emotion in you, It was not the intention. I find black and grey to be more contemplative

Popular Posts