Thankful for Simplicity




Last night I looked at a photo file of mine named "vision board" . It contains photos of things I have at one time or another thought I wanted. Things like a wolf stove, a smart car, a spa vacation, etc. But, this morning I got dressed, went out to do chores and saw so many wonders of nature, free entertainment. Suddenly, the photos in my vision board folder seemed silly to me, meaningless compared to what I was seeing and hearing. I could hear a baby crow calling for its momma from the nearby woods, it was hungry. Soon one of the babies caretakers came to its rescue and gave it some food. I remember well the sounds, the movements of my baby crow "Nevermore" when I fed him. A cardinal came within 4 ft of me to feed on some grain that spilled, I could see the texture of his feathers and watch him eat. I continued to milk the goat with eyes glued to the red bird, so close and so unaware of me....maybe I was just one of the animals to the bird, and posed no threat to the bird in his tiny mind.
Flowers blooming all over the place, bits of color here and there, random in their design compared to those glossy gardening magazines, but my flower spots suit my fancy just fine.
With milk bucket in hand, heading back to the house through the pasture, I see a large clump of mushrooms growing next to a stump we have for the goats to play on. Shades of browns so much more beautiful than any decorators palette. I remind myself to come back out after taking care of the milk and take some pictures of these mushrooms. I have no idea what kind they are but laugh wondering if they might be those magic mushrooms I have heard about.
There is no problem with me walking into the kitchen with muddy boots on, its been done before and it will be done again. We are not prissy. We know how to mop floors and we are not afraid to deal with dirt. Now I sit in a room full of books and papers, things I need. I know where things are even amid the chaos of this little office of mine. There is a kerosene lamp next to the computer, it seems to be a sight filled with irony. The house is silent and that is o.k. I don't mind quiet. I think after this I will sit in the rocker by the window and just read a bit, or maybe just sit and think. I have a bit of a sore throat today, and I seem to be developing a cough. A cold I hope. I have no fever, so I am not afraid, but still aware.
Life is good and one thing I know, I am living my dream life and the vision board I made way back in the 1970's was full of photos of just what I have now. How thankful I am of my dreams come true, a simple life !
plums
small yucca
grass going to seed
yucca bloom
geraniums
Harry
Quince
Faith, munching on hay
mushrooms growing in the pasture
one kitten
three kittens
iris bed

Comments

Dawn said…
That's it...I am coming over to take one, or three of those kittens home with me. :-)
You are right. The simple life is wonderful. It is human to want things, but it is wonderful to be satisfied with what we have.
Recently, I have learned to "shop" in my home, and attic, for inspiration when I feel the need for a change coming on. Switching the lampshades on lamps that were in two different rooms, turned out to be an unexpected lift of my spirit. I then "shopped" all over the house for things to put on new shelves in a room. Once re-purposed, these familiar things became a wonderful vignette to enjoy.
Flowers cut, from the yard, vegetables from the garden, new life, in the spring, these things are simply amazing!
Lisa said…
Your Faith looks almost exactly like my mini Nubian Milky Way. Their faces are almost identical. Milky Way just gave birth early yesterday morning. Her little boy looks just like her. Maybe they're distant cousins....LOL

Popular Posts