Discovery

I am a firm believer in life being a journey with new roads to discover, to walk down, even if only for a short distance. At times we are certain we are to go this way or that way and at other times you simply have a desire to see what is down that new road.
In many ways this post is difficult for me and I have put off writing it for a few days, waiting until I know how to express what I am feeling. No, I am not making some huge life change, but I am making changes.
Last weekend I had a "light bulb" moment....I had seen something coming, saw signs that as I am approaching age 55 this summer that I was finally beginning to understand the how and why of myself in a deeper sense.
What we experience as children molds who we become as adults, and we all take on the information we are handed in different ways. For some reason when I was in school and there was all this talk about "the time of the end" and "fleeing to the mountains" and being persecuted for keeping Saturday as Sabbath, somewhere along the way that turned into a deep seeded fear for me and created in me a need to learn how to survive off the land, be able to live like in the old days. We tend to bury fear and re-label it so we don't appear weak, as fear is seen as a weakness to many people. By the time I was 15, I had read so many living off the land sort of books and deciding that was the way I wanted to live, that it became my dream life. It seemed to most that I was just a back to nature kind of girl, happiest in the woods, wandering, exploring and I was, still am happy in that setting, but my motivation was in reality this need to learn how to live without being hungry, cold, etc no matter what situation the world was in. This dream of mine to live in the woods, without electricity was fear based, but by the time I was 21, I had turned this into appearing as though I was just a nature girl...and after a while, the real reasons got shoved below the need to make it all look "cool" and transform it into a philosophy of life more than anything else. Got married, lived in the city, stayed focused on someday having my self sufficient life style. Storms would come and I would be better prepared than anyone else. I could survive without the need of stores, electric companies etc. Always kept large amounts of food and clothing, just in case. Learned how to skin animals and tan their hides, make soap, make candles, tend bees, butcher chickens, treat illnesses with herbs, gained a broad spectrum of medical situations and on and on the list grew of my survival skills, prepared for all that I had learned about in school about the horrible turbulent "times of the end". I feed a sheep, sheer a sheep, spin its wool, and knit or weave that yarn into usable clothing. I could build a fire under just about any condition. I could cook good meals without a modern stove. I would not be left starving or cold if we had to "flee to the mountains" nor would my husband or children lay cold and hungry in some cave while we were being chased by authorities who told us we could not live if we kept Saturday Sabbath. I know not every SDA has these horrific fears, but for me they were real, something clicked in my childhood to set me on this path. I am not even SDA any longer, but those fears are deep seeded and when the avian flu arrived on the scene last month, I sat back and said, "well if a pandemic comes, we are prepared to not have to leave the house for months" and I felt satisfied. Fear is crippling, it makes us behave in certain ways that are not always based on reality. And I have seen that.
I love simplicity, love not buying into the gutta have mentality. I love not being consumed by drama and being able to take time to live, to experience and to walk softly through life. But I don't really like this "homestead life" that I designed to hide my fears behind. The fear driven existence no longer serves me. I don't even believe that hype I was taught in school. I don't even keep Saturday as a Sabbath. But I am living still through the eyes of a frightened 8 year old, afraid of having to flee to the mountains due to some National Sunday Law and later when I had to read chapter 39 of the Ellen White book, The Great Controversy in high school the deal was sealed on my fear motivated goals on how I would live....
Having explained all this, not so much for you but for me to get it out, print it for me to see, I know that its time to let go of this homestead life for a bit and get past the fear driven motivation to live like this. I really don't like hanging clothes up in the ice cold winter or the hot days of summer, or making soap, or candles or butchering chickens. I do like the simple life but it needs to be for a different reason than fear. If I live this way it needs to be for stepping lightly on this world or for just the quietude of it. I suspect knowing all this about myself and my reasoning for the why of the way I have chosen to live, I can start to move past these fears and find a different motivation, a healthier one, one that doesn't keep my house full of things that I might need if the world goes bad. I won't have so much stuff laying around for "just in case". The house will become leaner and easier to maintain and I won't need goats when I don't really want them at this point in life. I honestly would rather be a bit of a traveller and be spontaneous. Milking animals removes the phrase "spontaneous adventures" out of the picture completely.
Emery and I want a new phase for us and I can not do that until I get rid of the fear. I made great strides this week of saying goodbye to a crippling "childhood truth" that no longer serves me.
Living should not be done in fear, but in joy. Not sure where this road I am taking will lead me, and there is a possibility it will take me right back to where I have been, but with different motivation, and most certainly, where I end up will not be from a place of fear. I am open to change and looking forward to growing in peace.

Comments

txakolina said…
bravo! what a lovely, reflective post. well done.
Diannia said…
Good for you for looking so deep into yourself and being able to realize and verbalize what you find. Fear can be a good thing as long as it's not crippling or unhealthy. You have been able to hide your fear for a long time. I look forward to reading about the new decisions you make in your life. Just make sure you get a laptop for your roadtrip!
Deanna said…
Patty, I would love to have the opportunity to discuss this with you. I completely get where you are coming from. We moved to the country 11 years ago and while I do love it here, and it was a great place to homeschool our kids, like you, I'm getting ready to move on.

I, too, grew up with "End Times" theology which I no longer buy into. Y2K also got me started thinking "what if...". While we haven't embraced a homesteading life anywhere near what you have done, I do have an extremely extensive library of resources and have always figured we had the knowledge to do whatever we might have to.

But you are absolutely correct. That's fear-based and God doesn't want us to live in fear.

My husband and I are still fairly young empty nesters and we've been seriously considering moving to New Orleans. We've never lived in a city and I know there would be much we'd miss about the country. However, there are wonderful opportunities in a larger population setting that I would like to experience.

I don't know what we will ultimately decide to do but I suspect our time in the country is limited. Like you, we enjoy traveling and having animals makes that more difficult. I'd also like to downsize to a smaller home with much less to take care of.

It will be interesting to read about your lifestyle changes as I suspect we will be right behind you. Thank you for sharing so honestly. Btw, I'm in Oklahoma so it really isn't all that unlikely that we might be able to meet in person someday. In fact, I'm meeting an online friend from Tennessee in Oklahoma City today. I've been blessed to meet several online friends in person over the years and it's nearly always been a good experience (only one negative encounter).
Lib said…
Hi Patty,
THanks for always being so honest and open !
I Love the simple side of life, but I also think we're all unique and what works for one want work for others.
I hope you find Love,Peace ,Joy on your journey,Should say even more I know you have these nows.
Blessins',Lib
After reading your blog for over a year, I have often thought you have "one foot in each of two worlds" and are often conflicted. It is okay to embrace change, and then decide to change back to what you left. I think it is healthy to be open to different ideas, and know when you need a change. You are lucky that you have the freedom and opportunity to make needed changes. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Hi Patty,

Since stumbling upon your blog several months ago, I've always enjoyed reading about your simple life. Our family also strives to live as simply as we can, conservativly utilizing the resources God has blessed us with.
From your posts it always seemed as if you enjoyed the lifestyle you and Emery have embraced. It was a joy to think someone else out in this world lived this way out of desire.

So, you can imagine my disappointment to read today that your initial motivation for a sustainable lifestyle grew out of fear of what might or might not someday be.
PLEASE don't take that statement the wrong way because, I am rejoycing with you. Now that you've have confronted and exposed these long held fears, you will no longer be held in the bondage that those fears kept you in for so long. You and Emery will be free to make decissions and choices based upon the desires of your hearts.

I am sure that no matter where your new journey takes you, (who knows, you may end up staying exactly where you are) you will be at peace with your decissions because they will no longer be decissions based upon fear.

Mrs.B
cheryl said…
As long as you don't stop blogging Patty ! I am very happy for you and the changes you will make . We received great news today , my husband is not losing his job !
Patty said…
Thanks Txakolina, I knew you would be applauding me, you are so sweet
healinggreen said…
Wow! That was so brave, and so beautiful. It makes me so happy whenever I see someone stepping into their own power, really, I feel like singing or something. It is just so awe-inspiring when people have these sorts of leaps in their consciousness. Congratulations -- You're free! Hoorah & Blessings :)
mikesgirl said…
I'm going to really have to mull this over in my mind for awhile!
aimee said…
A good, honest post. Sounds like you have taken a big step towards living a life of freedom. I wish you very well.
Blessings, Aimee
The Stricklands said…
I also realized this year that much of my behavior was fear based. I was afraid of not being provided for in the future. What I thought was resourceful purchasing was hoarding based on fear. What a relief to call fear by the correct name and then move to change my thought process. I gave away almost half of what I owned and downsized into what will be the home of my dreams. Now if I buy something it is because it is an immediate need. There is freedom and joy that comes from being free from crippling thoughts. Congratulations on your new journey!
Renee said…
Way to go! I am humbled by your honesty with yourself and that you would share it with us. Thank you!
Lisa said…
I enjoyed this post Pat and it has encouraged me to consider MY motivations for the things I do. I have also been influenced by fear, I recognized that quite some time ago, and I don't want to continue making fear-based decisions. We have our goats and chickens and they are good tools for teaching our children responsibility. But, once they are grown, I don't know...dh doesn't even like the goats and wants little to do with them! With my dad's recent death and my mom not doing well in another town, I'm straining at the duties I have here on the homestead. There are more important things in my life than having animals and planting things, my mom being a top priority. So, I'm juggling right now, contemplating, and wanting to put my hand to what matters most while I'm walking in freedom from fear. Thanks for giving me food for thought. Lisa in NM
Dianne said…
I, too, have reexamined many of my motivations and priorities as I enter the empty nest stage. Your honesty is appreciated as you have given me much to think about. I am tired of the stockpiling and making everything from scratch! Now it is my turn to explore the many opportunities that life offers me. I lived so frugally for so many years out of neccesity that it became a barrier for enjoying things because I would feel guilty spending money!
Shellie said…
It's always good to try and reflect and see what's motivating our actions. I think we all go through times when are actions are being driven by things we saw or were taught during childhood that don't really serve us well in our adulthood. We act because of fears or feelings of not measuring up to ideals or expectations.

Right now we maintain a lifestyle that provides a health environment for our children but I do look forward to the time when my kids are grown with homes of their own. I hope to spend that time traveling, which will likely mean downsizing our lifestyle to allow for more spontaneity.

Popular Posts