Braided Rugs

Maxwell Mays "Country Kitchen"


For years I have wanted to learn how to make braided rugs. I remember as a child watching an Aunt of mine make them and I loved how they looked on the floor, still love how they look and loved the idea of seeing someones winter coat or an old woolen blanket be a part of the very rug I was playing a game on with my cousins.
Last year at Goodwill I found a book that shows all about making braided rugs, but I never did purchase any wool to get started with, then just this weekend I went into Goodwill again and there were yards and yards of wool for sale. I wished there had been some red, dark green and blue but I was happy to find over 10 yards of nice wool for just $10. I can't wait to get started. I will keep my eye open for the colors I want to put with these muted tones of grays and browns.


I believe in cord wood, iron stoves, and breakfast
I believe in freshly baked bread and mail order catalogues,
ticking clocks, dogs and cats and corn right out of the garden.
I believe in families who laugh together and because of this
I believe in tomorrow and the day after and the goodness of man
and the joy of living.
~Maxwell Mays~

Comments

Unknown said…
Let me know how the rug braiding goe Patty! I have been wanting to do this for some time too. I bought a book at The Ozark Folk Center last year, but like you, haven't run across the wool.
I think I would do better if I watched someone do it, and assisted... THEN took on the challenge myself. I would love to make rugs for my home.
TJ said…
I look forward to hearing an update. Growing up both my grandmother and great grandmother had large braided rugs in their homes. I wonder now what happened to them... I loved the rugs and even wrote poems about them in high school. I hope someday to try my hand at one.

For now I'm content to knit. I hope to knit caps, sweaters and baby blankies for my twins. I think I'd better start now and gender neutral, because they'll be here before I know it.
tami said…
Oh wow. That was a really lucky Goodwill find. I used to be able to buy wool mill ends at local outlets, but they don't make the fabric locally anymore and even then it was about 4.00 a pound.
My grandmother always made braided rugs and one was given to me when she died. I taught myself from a book some years ago. Other than being really hard on your hands it's not terribly difficult. I look forward to seeing your first rug. :D
Petrina Jason said…
Hi, Thanks for the useful information about the hand woven rugs. Fantastic work.
healinggreen said…
I've seen some great websites that show how to make the braided rugs out of fused plastic bags, which means the rugs are recycled and waterproof, yet still soft. Of course most bags I have are white or tan, so that isn't too interesting, but if you can find some colored ones than you can weave them in to add some interest... I hope to give it a whirl sometime, too.
Patty said…
Healing Green, great way to recycle plastic bags. I would give it a try but we don't get many bags around here since we use all cloth bags for shopping.

Popular Posts