Is it Winter Again ?


We went to bed without building a fire, so the house was a little chilly, maybe 68 F. We piled on the quilts and climbed under the covers. Sleeping like logs until a gust of wind came roaring by like a monster. The neighbors shop has a metal roof and it was banging. We had actually slept late. It was 7:30, well past my usual milking time. It took all we had to get out of the warm bed and face the cold house. 58 degrees doesn't sound too bad but it is, especially after having summer like weather for weeks now. Emery got right up and started building a roaring fire. I lingered under the covers a moment, planning just how to get out of bed and dressed in the quickest fashion. I was most happy to see that my thick wool knee socks were sitting on top of my dresser, that meant warm feet stayed warm.
I almost packed away the winter coats this week. Thinking we would not need them again for many many months. We have gotten lazy and leave them on the bed in the guest room instead of hanging them on the hook and I have been anxious to have them put away. We only have three tiny tiny closets in this house. They are all about 2'x4'. One in each bedroom. So no place to keep our coats handy, but on the plus side of this storage shortage, one doesn't keep more clothes than one needs. The word "want" doesn't even come into the picture. Simplicity works for us in so many ways. Our chosen path for decades and we smile now that for the first time, we seem a bit fashionable for living this way. The kettle on the wood stove is hissing at me, time to pour myself a cup of tea and have some toast with it. Life is good and I feel very blessed, just as if God has bent down, and kissed my head with all the tenderness of any loving father.
1 John 3:1
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!
milk bucket hanging on the hook in the milk barn
momma cat with her kittens all snug in the hay
Faith playing peek-a-boo with me
The gray wintry clouds
Whatever we found to cover the tender plants, we used and it worked.

Comments

Williams Arena said…
"Life is good and I feel very blessed, just as if God has bent down, and kissed my head with all the tenderness of any loving father."

This is beautiful and so eloquent. I absolutely love the mental picture it creates. I plan to carry this thought around in my head and heart all day long.

You've blessed me this morning with your words.
Melanie said…
Winter again indeed...my area (northern IL) just got 6" of snow overnight! Boo, hiss...
aimee said…
Loved the photo of your goat--how very, very cute:)
Blessings, aimee

Popular Posts