Is Winter Back Again ?

The cold north wind is howling and the temperature is dropping rapidly. We might even have a freeze tonight. I will spend the afternoon covering some of the plants in the garden, the tender ones. Winter is grasping at spring, wanting one more chance to show her stuff. The tress are bending and swaying in the constant wind of the afternoon. The screens are rattling in the window frames and there is that lonely, howling sound that reminds me of a blizzard. The animals have all taken shelter, hiding in the safety of the barn. Harry is just feeling lazy, curled up on the rug by the wood stove.
I made a pot of coffee, it feels right to have a warm drink today and I pulled on my thick wool socks, glad for the extra warmth against the cold wooden floors. I'm glad I don't have to go anyplace today or tonight. Just stay in, cozy and settled in. Content. Happy to be home.
The wind chimes are sounding almost frantic, banging, clanging, forgetting that they should be making music. Our anemometer is going wild, going so fast at times it appears to blur into one solid mass. The wisteria blooms lay on the ground like lavender snowflakes, tiny thin piles of what once was delicate hanging blossoms. I hear the metal farm gate banging against the fence post. The wind gusting to over 30 mph. Good time to sit down in the rocker, by the stove and read a bit, or watch the clouds zip across the sky, or maybe doze off a bit and dream sweet dreams. Life is good, it really is.
The hill sides are alive with spring flowers despite todays chilly temps

Comments

cheryl said…
I love the new colors of your page and the picture of the wild flowers .
Dana and Daisy said…
a good time to put a pot of tea on and spin some yarn, too!

I hope the freeze is light at worst. Our forecast calls for 29.
Val said…
Your home sounds so peaceful. I would love to have one day like that. It just always seems as though so much is going on.
... Paige said…
Yelp, someone turned it back on. We had hail and a twister this afternoon.
But hey we needed the rain

Popular Posts