Menno Simons on ... the right use of riches

I read this again today and realized its probably one of the reasons why I love his writings so well.
Menno Simons on ... the right use of riches

"Since, then, the mouth of the Lord, as also his faithful servants, James and Paul, have so plainly expressed the dangers of the rich and of those of high standing; since experience teaches how proud-hearted they are, as may be educed from their high titles, houses, shields, medals, clothes, servants, horses and dogs; and since Christ says, "Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven," Matt 18:3; therefore it would be more in accordance with evangelical righteousness, if Gellius, instead, would industriously teach such proud hearts and high persons, the humility of Christ, so that they may learn to forsake themselves; may learn to know themselves, of what they are born, what they are and what they will be; that they may die unto their excessive pomp, splendor, superfluity and ungodliness; may fear God in all sincerity, and walk in his ways; that they may faithfully serve their neighbors, with their abundance, in true humility of heart."

excerpt from The complete works of Menno Simon (Elkhart, Ind., 1871).

Comments

Don Hendricks said…
Well, Patty, I was going to encourage you to rest and thank you for your lovely spring photography during your blog slowdown, and I went to work and return to a blog avalanche of what must be two fingered typing????

I am blessed by your thoughts and sharings and pictures.

Don in AZ
Patty said…
I figured out that I can type with the splints on : )
Cathy said…
I love your blog! I live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex & long for the peaceful, country life you write about! I have never been a "city girl" & sometimes feel as if the life is being strangled out of me, living here in the city! Can I ask what part of TX you live?
Patty said…
Hi Cathy,
I am south of Ft Worth in Johnson County, so you are a neighbor : )

Popular Posts