Earth Hour is one week away

Last year our family participated in Earth Hour. I spent a big part of one day prior to the event, emailing television stations, local newspapers, cities and towns in our area, asking them to participate.
This year we plan on having an Earth hour party which I hope will be great fun plus made a statement about just what we are doing to our planet by consuming so much fossil fuel etc.

I am asking that as many of you as possible to participate this year at 8:30 PM local time, wherever you live on planet earth. Saturday 28 March 2009, by turning out the lights for one hour.
Last year I made little planet earth cupcakes. Frosted blue with green frosting where land masses are, they were cute and helped to make the festivities seem focused on our planet along with being fun. This year I plan on making making them again and little gift bags for each person that spends the hour with us. No lights and for us we spent one hour with nothing electrical going at all, except the fridge and freezer. Join me this year along with people around the globe. 1,858 cities, towns and municipalities in 81 countries have already committed to VOTE EARTH for Earth Hour 2009, as part of the worlds first global election between Earth and global warming.
Invite your friends, help your children participate and be a part of this event.
Here is the link to my post about our last years Earth Hour

I would love to hear from those of you who plan to participate in this one hour event.
I just emailed the White House to see if they will be taking part in Earth Hour 2009 !

Comments

Hi Patty, I found your blog through Three Beautiful Things, and am enjoying reading about your simple (and lovely) life... Your Earth Hour party sounds like a great idea. I'm going to see if I can get a few friends and relatives on board to do the same thing. I'm also going to mention it to all my students (am an elementary school librarian, so I see all 350 kids each week)
Thanks for a great blog... I wish you all the very best!
Deanna said…
We participated last year and even when the hour was up we left the lights off and the candles lit while I did the dinner dishes. We loved it and planned to do it regularly. I'm sorry to say we didn't. Perhaps I should institute one night a week for this...

I'm not sure how we can participate this year because we will be in New Orleans, sitting in a favorite restaurant at that time. I doubt the management would honor a request to turn off the lights. ;) But we'll be thinking of you and your Earth Hour party. Have fun!

Popular Posts