Work on Stevens House




I love how Steven put up the logs around the fireplace. It was just wallboard before. I managed to cover 3 bedrooms, a hallway most of the living room and the dinning rooms floors today with that sticky, smelly polyurethane. I am splattered with the stuff.
Tomorrow I will go back and do a second coat for them.
I did take a break and roam around the land a bit, taking some pictures. Like a true mother, I cleaned up a bit where Steven had been cutting wood outside and did a bit of a general tidying up of his work area. He was more than grateful when he saw what I had done.
He has just a bit more than 7 weeks until the wedding so he had better get busy and get that kitchen done !

The whole time I was at Stevens place, it was so silent. No road noise, no cars going by, nothing but wind blowing across the prairie. The wind would howl at times and whisper at others. The cotton wood leaves would rustle like tiny bells on a branch.
There would be the occasional hen announcing her production of a new egg, but no other sounds. It made me think about modern times when we are so surrounded by sounds. Radios, cars, phones, and more. Here up on Stevens hill, it was like stepping back in time. No neighbors radio to disrupt your thoughts. Nothing but silence. Perhaps that is one of the things that made people more at peace in olden times, they had quiet in order to think out things and silent moments to pray. I enjoyed that quiet and realized that when its silent, you can really face your inner most thoughts and not have things chase them away by way of distraction.

The fireplace, now surrounded by by warm and friendly pine logs

The master bedroom floor

Sunflowers all around

Comments

Marci said…
What a beautiful home. I am so glad you get to help them build or fix up their nest.
JacquiG said…
The logs around the fireplace are lovely. Is it an open fireplace or gas? I just love the colour of the floors. Must be a nice feeling to be able to help them get their home fixed up.

Jackie in ON
Saska said…
The house is really pretty. Love the wood floors.
Lucy said…
It sounds all so beautifull and peacefull . Your son and your ( almost) daughter in law live in a dream
Carrie J said…
I love the look the logs give the room. Is this a product that you bought to put up or did you cut the logs?
Patty said…
hi Carrie,
The logs are made by another Mennonite business that supplies the logs for the cabins built by the companies Steven and Emery work for. They are tongue and groove.
Anonymous said…
Ooh, I love what Steven's done with the fireplace! It would be nice to live with just nature's sounds. We're so used to noise of various types, I think sometimes we are afraid to be alone with our thoughts.
Jenny said…
Your son's home looks wonderful but I especially like the part about the quiet. Although it is good to have neighbours I often wish they were all half a mile away rather than just over the fence. The car and garden tool noises often shatter the peace and quiet.

Popular Posts