Hiking along the Paluxy




The morning was gorgeous for a backpacking trip. Cool with stunning blue skies. We both were anxious for this hike, since it felt like a long time to us since we had been on this particular trail. It winds up along a mesa and over looks the river, then winds down along some small creeks and back along the Paluxy again.
This time of year the hike is a bit different. Much, if not all of the creek beds are dry and the river itself is much easier to cross. More rocks sticking up above the water means your shoes stay dry.
We first stopped off at a large pool of water, used many years ago by Native Americans for bathing and water needs. Its a good deep pool, some places it reaches a depth of 21 ft. We did see a huge water moccasin there today, so in no way was I going to jump in ! There are also dinosaur prints in the rock bed there.
The climbing around that area is rough and not for just casual out of shape hikers.
We had fun climbing the rocks around there and then headed on for some serious backpacking.
In the picture I look like I am hooked up to some sort of tubing, well that's just my drinking water system. More pictures to come !

Comments

It's amazing to see the landscape around where you live Patty. It's so different to what I'm used to. I used to be quite a serious hiker ( haven't done it properly since the girls were born) and your terrain looks so challenging and beautiful. My DDs would love to see those dinosaur rpints!
Rowan said…
What wonderful scenery, no wonder you love hiking these trails. Which Native American tribe lived in this area? It sounds as though it has a long and fascinating history even though it isn't all that visible. How great to see the water moccasin in the pool - just not too close! I like snakes but I'm not anxious to make too close an aquaintance with the poisonous ones. The drinking system is good isn't it? I have one too though I don't do any serious walking these days.
Lucy said…
Thank you for sharing yoru pictures ! I love to see them . It must be a very interesting hike !
Patty said…
The state park is called Dinosaur Valley state park, there are prints in several spots and finding fossils is quite easy
Patty said…
Hi Rowen, by the late 17th century, this area was home to the Comanche .
Its odd to me that the nuclear power plant in that area is named Comanche Peek. It seems so un-natural to name that monster after a Native tribe

Popular Posts