My love of Gnomes




When Gnomes first became popular in the 1970's it was love at first sight. I just love everything about the sweet little helpful characters. Secretly I wish they were real and I would see one. Well, laugh if you want but its part of that "childlike enthusiasm" I am always talking about.
Through time, several gnomes have come to live with me. This morning after getting dressed and folding up my gnome jammies that Melanie and Casi gave me for helping them with the wedding, I thought wow, I really do like gnomes. Within one room, there are quite a few of these friendly fellas and a gal or two among them. Thought I would share a sampling of what was easy to get at. Now there are blankets with gnomes hidden on them, tiles in the kitchen, a music box with a Mr. & Mrs. Gnome that plays "You are the Sunshine of my Life" Emery gave that to me as an anniversary present one year... awww, that man is so sweet.
I have all the David the gnome cartoons on Video, thanks to Melissa one year for Christmas. And I have plans for a gnome quilt some time... when I have nothing else to do that is.
On a more serious note, I think Gnomes represent helpful, non aggressive simple wee folk. And that's just not a bad thing to like.
At Christmas the house is nearly run over with the wee ones. Gnomes, Swedish Tomtee, Nisse from Norway and even some fantastic tomte like red cutouts from a friend in Finland that go in the window. There are tomte table cloths, and home made tomte, there are gnomes on dishes and mugs.
One year, when Scott was having a difficult time with his past issues, I knitted tiny red gnome hats, and put them in the garden when he was supposed to be weeding for us. I wanted to give him a bit of magic, a bit of childhood delight. When he found the hat, there beside it was a tiny gnome size shovel. Scotts eyes grew so big, he just knew a wee gnome had been out there to help him and got scared away, leaving his hat and shovel behind in haste.
Fun memories. Gnome hats were knitted for children to wear in winter, always easy to find them with their red hats pointing up to they sky.
Melissa was a gnome her second Halloween. What a cute gnome she made.

Gnomes and gnome books
Gnome pajama's, Thanks Melanie and Casi
A gnome embroidery from Germany
Melissa the gnome 16 months old

Comments

Popular Posts