THE BIG ADVENTURE !

The picture has nothing to do with the BIG ADVENTURE but I like this picture of my living room. I have posted it in the past but didn't have a picture to go with the ADVENTURE.


O.K. here it is....... We are going to live two days, I know its not very long...two days living like Frontier house, or Little House on the Prairie. The dates.... September 29 and 30
There shall be......
No electricity
No running water
No plastic stuff
No Microwave
No instant food
No phones, (unless its an emergency)
No driving anyplace
Only cooking on the woodstove
(some folks doing this adventure don't have wood stove nor can they cook outside due to burn bans so will use their stoves but with the temperature settings covered)
Only eating food as it would have been found in the area you live in the 1870's - 1880's
Hauling water from an outside faucet
Bathroom, well depends on if you live in the city or not
Paper products didn't exist, so figure out that one.
No showers
No deodorants, wash up good folks !
No air conditioning, or fans
No washing machines or dish washers
No liquid dish soaps
No shampoos as we know them, soap does work !
You have to dress in period clothing, but you can skip the millions of undergarments.
None of the fancy cosmetics or lotions from modern times.
Wear your hair as much as you can like those times
I know there are more "NO"s but imagine how much you will learn to appreciate all that we have and learn how much we have surrendered of our time to modern living.
The plan is to get as many folks as possible to partake of this adventure, and write about it, keep a journal of your discoveries and take pictures of the things that you are doing. Yes, I know they didn't have digital cameras then, but think of this as a bit of your own personal family history and you would want that documented and if you have a blog, then blog the adventure and we will all compare notes.
I am not sure if its best to have no computer for the two days and blog our adventures on Oct 1 or blog each evening. My first thought is to wait until the 1st as the temptation to check emails and all the other computer stuff would be difficult.

So, who is brave enough to join in ????
Kelli and Revee are planning on the Big Adventure. Just let me know by way of comment or on my chat box if you are wanting to give this a try. Feel free to email me at
pasuhi54@msn.com with questions too.
Be brave, be adventuresome. !

Let the preparations begin .




Comments

Granny said…
Oh, dear! I was looking forward to the Big Adventure but I think I'm not quite adventurous enough for this one. And, my family would not cooperate at all. I'll be watching here to see how everyone does. Sounds like fun.

Judy L.
wendybirde said…
I might do this "The Big Adventure". I've learned the hard way to step back first and reflect first before jumping aboard, but Im definitely going to be praying on it to see. As of now now, I am very drawn.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like fun! I'll put it to the clan on Monday at Family Home Evening and see what they think :-) We'd have to use the loo though, the neighbours might get more than they bargained for if we started digging holes in the garden!
Patti said…
I've lived this way before growing up when my family had a cabin in the mountains. It was safe then to take all our water out of the river. We had an outhouse - you don't mention that! :-) and a wood stove.

Can't do it this time as you picked the wrong dates. No way I can live that way at work on Friday, and I can't take the day off as I have a class scheduled. Saturday is Quilt Pink Day and we need our sewing machines to put together the quilt tops as they must be done by the end of the day.

It will be interesting to see how others do. I beg to disagree, however, with your statement about how much time has been surrendered to modern living. There's no way I could have devoted all my weekend to quilting in the past the way I do now. We all have the same 24 hours - it's just that each of us choose to live it in our way. I'm incredibly thankful for the dozens of inventions that make my life easier and allow me to spend so much of my time doing what I love to do.
Patty said…
Hi Patti,
I think what I meant to refer to is surrendering of family time, of the slower pace evenings, peace and quiet times, no cell phones ringing etc or TV blaring. Family meals, less conversations.
I suspect many will come away from this experiment, grateful for the things they have. Living the pioneer way, is not simple.
Nancy said…
My circumstances will not allow me to participate in the adventure as laid out. :-( But I look forward to reading about everyone who does.
Peggy said…
Well I think its a great ideal! Of course I am almost living that way everyday. I do laundry in a double washtub with handcrank wringer. Cook on woodstove, heat with wood, Use my oil lamps in the evening except in summer which is way too hot. I do use my modern bathroom though as I can't have outhouse in this county. We are going to be off grid and using solar power for electric hopefully by spring at the latest. We want to go back to the hard work of the simple life. But we are retired and children grown so its easier for us. I look forward to reading about your adventure!
Marci said…
My guys say NO WAY.... =( Party poopers!!!
Tina Leigh said…
I'm thinking of all kinds of things...I will e-mail you or put my questions on OFT. So much to think about....I dont have any clothes to wear Patty!! LOL! I'll talk to you monday ..hope you & Emory are having much fun today!!!
I'm having a good old think over this one Patty. It appeals to me no end...and like Peggy I do a lot of stuff like this anyway. I'd have to use the loo though, my back garden is very overlooked, and I don't think I could run up a Victorian dress in time for the experiment (but I'd wear the longest skirt I have and a blouse not a t-shirt).

I don't know what the DH would do without the telly or radio, or CDs for a week...or what would I do without the PC????? Am I brave enough, would this be more fun when my children are older? What would it tell me about myself?

I'm wavering...aahhh! Even if I don't do it Patty, you've made me think and that's got to be good!lol
JacquiG said…
This would be such an interesting experience! A part of me would love to know what it would be like to live this way. I think there could be a lot to learn from this adventure.

However, I mentioned this to my DH over the weekend and his response was "there's a tent in the garage ... be my guest!" So I guess we won't be joining in, but I'm anxious to read the results of everyone else's adventures.

Jackie in ON

Popular Posts