Nana's Aprons




Somehow I inherited two aprons and a pair of bloomers that belonged to my great grandmother. I love them all. Each with tiny hand stitches, so perfectly done. The bloomers full of tucks and embroidery around the bottom of the legs.
Often times I wish I could use the aprons but they are fragile. So this past week, I made copies of them, as close as I could that is. I used durable lace and cotton in place of the batiste so they can be tossed in the washer. Actually I made two of each but have sewn only one of each. The others will have to wait for a later date to be sewn up.Sewing them was a bit like stepping back into my great grandmothers place. Thinking about how each one was cut out so long ago, and how the plans were made as to how the finished apron should look. Perhaps my great grandmother saw an apron like hers someplace and decided she wanted one like it, or maybe she just dreamed it up. How I wish these aprons could talk.
I am sure they were used for serving tea and not for kitchen duty.

The aprons. Still on the search for the perfect lace for the pocket on the one apron.
My Great Grand-parents William Seward Neil and Alberta Jane Hines Neil. On the far left of the photo , my Uncle Bill and on the right my Uncle Ronnie. My mothers brothers.

Comments

Sunny said…
Patty, I love to see the old photos of your rellies. And, it is so cool that you made replicas of nana's aprons. I think you could start a line of old timey home sewn merchandise called "Nana's Aprons" and sell it on-line.
Kelli said…
Lovely photos. What a great idea to make replica's of the aprons!
Kelli
Laurie said…
What pretty aprons!
Dormouse said…
Oh wow, they are so precious. What a wonderful thing to do.
Anonymous said…
Your aprons are fantastic (so are the originals, and what a beautiful heirloom to have). I have very fond memories of my nana and her little aprons. Most were pretty florals, waist ones like yours with frills and lace. Even if we're wearing jeans and t-shirts, it's nice to put on something pretty and feminine :-)
Patty said…
Hi Sunny,
Good idea, except I don't ever like to do something the same every day. No discipline at all : )
Love your aprons...just beautiful!

Popular Posts