Deep and Abiding Joy

We are all blessed from time to time with a moment in time that solidifies in our hearts and minds, the things that are really important in life.   In the past year or so, I have like so many of us in this fast paced day and age, found myself being caught up in the "must have" mood.  It is a truth that our old home of nearly 100 years old has been in need of some "work".  Some of it, cosmetic in nature, along with some work that is just necessary.   I scanned Pinterest for pictures of kitchens I liked and gas ranges that made me swoon.  I repinned so many pictures that I found a few that I had repinned more than once !  Then, this past week, with my Dad here and all the children and grandchildren I discovered something I honestly knew already, that I could turn out really good food without having an updated, fancy smancy kitchen.  My Dad and Emery savored each and every mouthful of Coconut Cream pie as if it was world class and the biscuits for my fathers favorite strawberry shortcake rose to beautiful heights in our 4 year old white Kenmore stove just as beautifully as ever.  A stainless gas range with a hefty price tag would not have changed things a bit.  The laughter around our full table would not have been any sweeter, had there been a gleaming crystal chandelier over our heads.   The love shining from my husbands eyes as he sat back in his chair, content in knowing he and the girls pulled off the best birthday party ever for me, would not have been brighter had their been fancy crown moulding around the room.  You see, love in our hearts is not influenced by style, by the newest and brightest gadgets, its influenced by relationships, by things like joy, happiness and an openness to letting go of things that won't count in the end.    I needed this week to see all this once again with clarity.  When I climbed into bed night before last, my heart was so full of joy that it was hard to shut my brain down in order to sleep.  I just kept thanking God over and over for all the love in my life.  I know that He has given it to me, but I also know I have taken time to cultivate it, nourish it and most of all, cherish the gift given.   God has always been and will always be, my teacher.  I like to think that for most of my life, I have sought to hear that small still voice helping me along life's pathway.  Hearing Him suggest to me which road to take, which battle to fight, which word to hold back, which word to say.  Of course I have failed, more times than I care to think about, but I listened to Him when He guided me towards my husband and when He suggested the more difficult road to take with raising our children, and this week, with everyone around me, I sure am glad His gentle guidance has produced such joy in my life.  I also am glad for the reminder, that fancy smancy is just not necessary.

Comments

Simply Shelley said…
I can so relate to this post....as the lord is leading me down a simple path...things truly don't matter,it is as you said family,friends,relationships that will last. A thought on replacing something for a newer,better (something)... If its not broke and it gets the job done...why waste money only on appearance...(my thought)...the money might be used to benefit a true need in someones life. This post bless me today...thank you so much for sharing. He blesses me to know that the Lord is speaking to other hearts as he is mine. Blessings and a belated Happy Birthday.

Popular Posts