Gentleness

Gentleness is something I strive for, but I fear I am far from the mark. I am not meaning physical gentleness, that isn't a problem for me in any way shape or form, but gentleness of thoughts and words...well, that's a bit different for me. Weighing an independent spirit and a gentle spirit on the scale is not always easy to balance.
1 Peter 3 says so beautifully that..."3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." I know this verse is true because I have met a few gentle and quiet spirited women and they glow with such an inner beauty ! But for me, I know there runs deep within me this generational Yankee strong minded, Independence that roars with that saying..."don't tread on me" kind of mentality and that is not always the sort of mind set that causes one to emanate with inner beauty !
Yes, yes, of course I pray about it, no need to remind me to do that, but praying only makes us a bit more pliable, we still need to do the work of changing. We are not puppets and God never forces His will on us, or makes us do things that are not in our hearts to do. The work of changing is always our own.
We are influenced by what we see, hear and what we speak. We somehow need to balance Independence and gentleness. Not letting one negate the other.
We can talk so negative about a certain subject that it becomes a definition of who we are. However, if what we talk about is positive and good and filled with a gentle spirit, than what a wonderful thing to be known for.
The world would be a wonderful place if more people sought actively to be full of gentleness and compassion. Filled with a quiet spirit that had us think before we said something unkind or a bit abrasive. No one needs to spend their lives pointing out the flaws of another or defending their own actions. I know I don't.

For me, the goal is,
Seeking....a more quiet and gentle spirit.

Comments

Popular Posts