Cheese Making Day

With so much goat milk, I have been busy making ice cream and cheese. Today is Ricotta cheese making day, so tonight there will be lasagna on the table for supper.
I use the standard whole milk easy ricotta recipe. 3 Tablespoons of White Vinegar to two quarts of milk. Heat the milk to 200 F, then add the vinegar, heat up to 200 once again. Let sit for 15 minutes, then drain the curds, hanging it in butter muslin. I use a clean hand woven dish towel. Works great. Let drain for an hour and then I lightly salt and its ready to use.
Will be making bread using the whey. The chickens will get the leftover whey or maybe it will be the rose bushes
Here are some photos of the process this morning.
Heating the milk slowly to 200 F
Lining a colander with a hand woven tea towel
Vinegar to curd the milk with
Getting close to the 200 F
Right after the vinegar is added, the milk curdles
the whey
Hanging the cheese to drain
the finished product
which as I write this, is in the oven in the form of lasagna and bread is rising that was made with the whey

Comments

I'd love to give cheese-making a go! I'm not sure what my kids would think though...they are at "that stage" that they think everything should come from the supermarket
..LOL!

Popular Posts