The Cycle of Life, History repeating itself

At present I am dealing with what I am afraid has to be called, "the same old thing". It's not a good thing in this case, it's just history repeating itself, and sad to say, its happened way too many times. It was two years ago yesterday that I wrote a post about having "toxic people" in your life and knowing when to cut the ties. When I wrote the post I was thinking about my in-laws but this time its not, its my extended family.
Life is not always easy, not always pleasant but there seems to always be a solution to whatever comes up. The solutions are not always pleasant or easy but they do, do the job.
Right now I know that I have to forgive her, but forgiveness does not mean you have dinner with the offender, or even talk on the phone, it may just mean you just don't hold on to the hurt in a way that causes you pain.
I am reading my own words from the post The Toxic Factor and realizing what I need to do.
Family relationships are what they are but sometimes we just need to take control and stop being treated badly. You see, the power of our words good or bad can change lives and relationships. For most of my life, I have been dealing with the unkind and untrue words of another and its time for me to not let it happen any more.
As you may have gathered, I just needed to get this out of my brain, my heart, and off my shoulders and see it written out. To help me firm up my convictions to stop this. Maybe some of you can relate to having someone in your extended family that just is over the top at times, but hides behind a thin sugar coating so very few on the outside ever see the truth and certainly the story never stays the same as they retell to others what they said. I am feeling a bit beat up emotionally. This too will change as I am surrounded by love and compassion by those nearest and dearest to me.

Comments

Renee said…
Prayers and ((hugs)).
Marianna said…
Prayers for you, Patty.
Sunny said…
I can call you Wednesday morning if you like. Or, you can e-mail me.
Kim said…
Patti, I feel like I know you by being a faithful reader of your blog and cannot understand why a relative would say unkind things to you. Remember, and I'm sure you already do, that God and the people that matter most know the truth and that's all that matters. I will pray that you will find the forgiveness you are looking for and then you lift your chin and confidently go on with your blessed life!
Anonymous said…
I understand what you are feeling completely. I do not get along with my wife's family who have said some pretty rough things about the both of us (none of them seem to like the way we live but then we aren't crazy about their lifestyles either). You can forgive someone but, as you said, that doesn't mean you have to go and have dinner or hang out together either. This was a very honest posting and thank you for sharing it.

Popular Posts