50 Things That Make Me Smile


What a wonderful weekend I had. Saturday evening friends and family came to help me celebrate my birthday and the party theme was rather hippish, since it was also the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. We had pizza from my favorite Italian restaurant and a wonderful Italian Cream Cake and Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato. All my favorite things !
The gifts were all wonderful and the evening was filled with good conversation and many laughs. The wee girls played so well together, it was great fun watching them interact.
I felt so blessed in so many ways. When it comes down to it, life is really about the people that love you and that you love...being friends with them, enjoying spending time together.
Sunday Emery and I did some work around the house. In the kitchen, we took the cabinet doors off where I keep my dishes, it gives the area over my sink a more open feel to it and now I am moving things around so that we can take down some cabinets so we can put in a kitchen window. When we put an addition on a few years ago, I lost my only kitchen window, so now we are ready to add a new window and I can't wait. Small changes that make a big difference.
I am one of those people that loves change and am always changing furniture around and painting rooms different colors.
On a totally different subject, this morning I was out doing chores and watering the herb garden and thought about what a simple joy this task is, when the water from the hose hits the plants, their wonderful scents explode into the air and fill the space around me with such good smells. Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Mint, Thai Basil, Germander, Lavender and a few others.
I have made it a habit to surround myself with the things I love the best in life, and this includes flowers and herbs and fresh veggies and fruits.
Every once in a while I make a list of 50 things that make me smile, that give me a good feeling and here is my list today. Its good to think about the things that make us smile !
1. Love
2. Emery
3. Our children
4. Our grandchildren
5. Roses
6. Birds singing
7. A clean house
8. Music
9. Picking fresh herbs from my garden
10. The idea of riding a bike with heels on
11. Stepping on the scale and seeing a weight loss
12. My new dishes
13. Champagne
14. Good coffee
15. Star gazing
16. Waking up each morning
17. Holding hands with Emery
18. Love notes
19. Mei-Ling calling me on the phone all by herself
20. Fresh flowers on the table
21. Incense burning
22. Coffee at my favorite cafe, sitting outside
23. The idea that autumn is on its way
24. Little kittens
25. Harry hopping in the car for a ride
26. Fluffy towels
27. A good bargain
28. Reading a good poem
29. Pink bicycles with a basket on the handlebars
30. Shopping with my girls
31. A cheery hello on the other end of the phone
32. Hollyhocks
33. Fresh asparagus from the garden
34. the scent of lavender on my pillow
35. Clouds
36. Bright sunsets
37. Massages
38. Speaking French
39. Beautiful lace
40. Finishing a pair of knitted socks
41. Facebook messages
42. The smell of a new car
43. Baby animals
44. Shopping for baby clothes
45. A snuggle from a toddler
46. A song on the radio that brings back good memories
47. Bare feet and grass heavy with dew
48. Birthday cake
49. Emery's cologne
50. Picket fence

Comments

angela said…
Oh! Happy Birthday!! And you do have a wonderful sense of celebration. Your list parallels a lot I would put on my list too! Gratitude can turn your life around.

Blessings
I've noticed your reference to things French and was wondering where you learned the language. It is one of my regrets that I don't speak French. My Dad's family were Canadian emigrants to Vermont. His parents wisely gave up French in the home when their children went to school, speaking it only when the grandparents were present. So, the chance to be bi-lingual was lost to me.

Popular Posts