"Julie and Julia", an Inspiration to many

As you may have read, Melanie and I went to see the movie Julie and Julia just a short while ago and I have to admit, the movie ignited a spark in me to step up my cooking a notch or two. I had like so many other women, gotten in a cooking rut. Making the same things over and over and thinking when I sat down to eat..."another ho hum"meal. Just a few days after seeing the movie I was regretting that I had sold my copy of Mastering The Art of French Cooking at a yard sale several years ago. I looked up Julia Child's recipe for boeuf bourguignon and set off to get all the ingredients and spend five hours preparing the meal. It was more than worth the time. Sitting down to that meal, was an experience I will never forget. I felt accomplished and something else happened. I noticed that you could taste the flavor of the mushrooms, the distinct taste of the onions and of the beef. The mushrooms didn't have an onion taste or a beef taste etc. Each bite distinct. I realized that often times my meals sorta had a run together kind of taste, which isn't bad, but it isn't oh so wonderful either. Casseroles sort of blend everything together. I ate this boeuf bourguignon slowly, savoring each bite, I ate less too, since I chewed slowly and deliberately. Now, all I plan is meals that are "wow !" I was inspired by the movie, by the concept of food being one of life's greatest pleasures to be slowly enjoyed and at the same time, I am eating better food, less of it and have lost 8 lbs.
Yesterday I went shopping, trying to find a copy of Julia Child's, "The Art of French Cooking" and there was not one to be found, actually there were NO Julia Child cookbooks of any title....each bookstore, new and used alike, said the same thing, they are flying off the shelves since the movie came out. I guess it has inspired many to do some gourmet cooking !
I am glad to see this little movement towards fine cooking. Maybe it will slow us down a bit in our eating and enlighten our palates so that we desire to eat slower, desire to savor the moment and find fast food a bit unpalatable.

Thanks Julie & Julia !

Comments

Joanie said…
Absolutely delightful movie! Yes, it inspired me too ~ needing to relearn how to cook and enjoy food with multiple food allergies. It is so easy to get into a cooking rut!

Well said and love to read that you're experimenting and enjoying the art of cooking and eating, once again. Way to go ~ on the weightloss! An unexpected bonus!

You've inspired me too... Thanks. :)
JacquiG said…
I loved the movie! The food was great, the fashions wer amazing, but it was Julia Child's attitude towards life and her absolute joy in living that really stood out to me.

And yes, it has inspired me as well. I also want to try this recipe. And your discovery of weight loss along the way is also inspiring ;)

Jackie
Carole said…
Well, now that everybody is raving about it - I shall have to go see that movie !
I also LOVE cooking and I would love to see an inspiring movie about joy in living and positive attitude about life just before school starts !
I have a really favorite site for inspiration : www.marmiton.org (not sure now, but I'll try it to see if it is really it) ; it is in French, but I remember that you are familiar with the language, and their thematic organisation is just great, and the fact that people leave comments about how they altered the recipes, or about what was wrong and how they improved it, is very helpful. You can always ask if you need help with anything.
Patty said…
Carole, thank you so much for that link, what a great site.

Popular Posts