Endless Summer, or so it feels




By the end of August, a lot of the talk around these parts is how anxious everyone is to have summer gone and the heat replaced by temperatures you feel like you can bear. Today its 100 degrees F and it feels hotter than that. The ground is dry, the garden looking more like a waste land than a place of hope. You get excited when clouds build and one can only hope for a stray shower to refresh not only the ground, but you.
We have more than a month of hot temperatures ahead of us here in north Texas, and I am praying it goes by fast.
I was just outside with my camera, thinking there isn't a whole lot I feel like photographing. It all looks brown and dry.
A shell of a cicada, shriveled green bean vines. Tilled soil that feels more like fine dust than dirt. It just doesn't seem pretty to me, and that is partly due to my distaste for this heat.
The kittens are cute and follow me around like I am a second mother, no doubt from all the goats milk I dish out to them each day.
I find myself dreaming of the smell of woodsmoke and the feeling of frosty morning air. Wishing for the need of sweaters and wool socks. Of snow flakes and ice on the water buckets. It is feeling a bit like summer will go of forever and it looks like Harry is feeling the same way as he hangs his paws off the bridge, trying to find a bit of a breeze.

Comments

cheryl said…
Your summer starts so early that I can see how you would get so fed up of hot dry weather . Here in New Brunswick we have about 1 month of hot weather and I find that's plenty !
Anonymous said…
LoL...Patty, the picture of the clouds looked like a smiling pig to me! I understand, all too well, about those long Texas summers. Not much better here in Oklahoma except after "Endless Summer" we have "Never-Ending Winter". Hope it cools down for you soon!
Marianna said…
I hear you...sitting out at soccer practice for my daughter this evening was quite unpleasant.
Lisa said…
We are thankful to have received 1.1 inches of rain yesterday. Today, it was cloudy again and was 66 this afternoon when we went into town. We are all enjoying this autumnish weather and looking forward to more of it. Being in the mountains, we usually have nice summers but this year's has been extra pleasant....not even any mosquitoes! It'll soon be time to black the stove (thanks so much for the info you have provided on that) and time to bring in flannel and corduroy clothes. Fall is probably my favorite time of the year! Lisa in NM
... Paige said…
Summer lingers here for a long time to be sure. The coolness of winter is coming in a few eons, at least that is what I heard.
Dogs days of summer for sure. It is so hot there is not much anyone wants to do except sit down and try to stay cool. The more movement the hotter it seems. I am looking forward to some nice cool Autumn temps but they won't come for awhile yet.

Popular Posts