A Repost..."You Have To Live Spherically"

photo from http://www.allmoviephoto.com
One of the reasons I love the movie, "Under the Tuscan Sun" so much, is for its underlying wisdom. The movie is entertaining and it certainly shows the beauty of seizing the moment and just taking a chance in life, and of getting beyond profound hurt, but there is more. One quote from the movie has become a sort of defining motto for me, it describes me as I am and what I want to continue to be..."You have to live Spherically, in many directions and never loose your childish enthusiasm and then things will come your way" There is so much truth to this quote. Things do come your way when you are enthusiastic. Maybe its tied into the Law of Attraction. It has always been the case for me at any rate. Life is wonderful, amazing, exciting, full of life's lessons. Even the difficult lessons can become your most profound teacher. Much like my high school English teacher. First class, she scared us all to death, laying the law down, turning red in the face with all the "you will not's" but this woman grew to be my most beloved teacher. Showing me the power of the written word, bringing life to poetry and language. In no time at all I forgot about that scary first class with her, and found her to be the single best teacher I had ever had. Our difficulties can be like that for us. We can embrace them, see what we have learned from them and find the value of them and hold on to that aspect of it. I love exploring life. I am not afraid of looking around a corner, trying something new. Living spherically in many directions ! There is another quote in that movie that is full of wisdom. Martini says to Frances, "between Austria and Italy, there is a section of the Alps called the Semmering. It is an impossibly steep, very high part of the mountains. They built a train track over these Alps to connect Vienna and Venice. They built these tracks even before there was a train in existence that could make the trip. They built it because they knew some day, the train would come. " If only we would look at some parts of our life that way...expecting the good, expecting it to work out, taking the risk and finding out that we are just taking part in the greater plan. We so often let fear stand in our way, fear of looking foolish, fear of failing, fear of being afraid.
this is a repost fom April 2008

Comments

Val said…
There is nothing to fear but fear itself- I think I have heard that somewhere. Thanks for sharing this great post.
Diane said…
so tru.......
Dana and Daisy said…
I love that movie, so many women do. That saying about the Alps, I have wondered if it is true. that the track was laid before the train was powerful enough to make the pass.

Thank you for your kind words on my post about my Aunt and Uncle. In many ways, you and Emery remind me of them.
Patty said…
Carl Ritter von Ghega (January 10, 1802 - March 14, 1860), was the designer of the Semmering Railway from Gloggnitz to Mürzzuschlag.

Born in Venice as Carlo Ghega in an Albanian family, he studied in Padua, where he took the examination for doctor of mathematics at the age of 18. He began his engineering career with road and hydraulic engineering in Venice. Among other things he contributed to the building of the road over Cortina d'Ampezzo to Toblach-Dobbiaco. From 1836 to 1840 he was a construction supervisor for the railway track from Brno to Breclav, the so called Emperor Ferdinand North Railway. During this time, in 1836 and 37 he studied also the railways in England and other European countries. In 1842, entrusted with the entire planning of the future state railway, he made a study trip to North America.

After his return to the state railway he began with the planning of the railway line to the south, from Mürzzuschlag to Graz and Trieste. The crossing of the Semmering was not believed possible, but as early as 1844 he submitted a plan for the crossing of the Semmering, with locomotives without an extra rail for gear wheels. Before the building was fully decided, he began to enforce the construction of locomotives which could overcome such upward gradients. Construction of the Semmeringbahn was begun in 1848, and in 1851, before its completion in 1854, he became a knight (Ritter).
Unknown said…
Under the Tuscan Sun has been one of my favorite movies since the first time I saw it... I feel that I've gained something from it everytime I've seen it. Over the years I've often heard it said that God doesn't always answer our prayers exactly as we want or expect Him to - but that He DOES always answer our prayers. Sometimes we don't always recognize that our prayers have BEEN answered - because the answer we received wasn't in the format we expected. I KNOW that - but I often forget it... but I can watch that movie and be reminded again of that truth.

Sometimes I feel like Frances... always so sad... I really don't want to be!!!

It's also a great story of friendship... and I treasure ours Patty. :)

Hugs

Popular Posts