Simple Living Kind of Day


The air is damp and cool, perfect for working in the garden. Rain is in the forecast, so we want to get some things planted. Emery was outside just after dawn, with Harry at his side. A rake, a hoe and the cultivator as his tools. No noise from machines, just the steady rhythm of a man at work. I stood at the back door and watched for a bit, my heart warmed by the sight of my man working the land so we will have fresh organic food on the table all year long. Its such a good way of life for us. So natural, so normal for us. Its honest work with great reward. No more time to just stand there admiring what was before my eyes, I have my own work to do. Hungry goats to be fed, hay mangers to be filled, water tanks to be topped off with fresh water. I love the walk to the barn, past the mint and lavender patch, over the bridge, and past the oak grove. I love the way the sound the chain makes on the gate as I unhook it and dangles against the metal. There are always birds over head, singing and chirping. Bits of color on this rather dull gray morning.
Licorice is loosing her ligaments, kidding time is approaching. Must remember to get the kid play pen down from the loft so we can keep them inside with us for their first few days. When we are unpacking the playpen I always think about the time a woman came to the door for eggs and she heard the kids crying to be fed, I guess to her they sounded like human babies and asked about the "babies". "How old are they?" she asked, ""oh just two days old I replied". She timidly asked if she could see them and I said "sure but the play pen needs to be cleaned yet so bear that in mind". She looked at me a little funny but came in the house and I wish I could have snapped a picture of her expression when she saw they were goat babies ! She laughed after the shock wore off and we had a good chuckle together when she told me she thought they were human babies she was hearing.
I am anxious for kids to be born. They are such fun to play with and so full of energy. Harry will have to get used to these frisky little ones being around. I am pretty sure he will be just as gentle as can be with them, but I do know its not always that way with dogs and livestock . We did have a neighbor dog pull a kid through the fence once and kill it right in front of the girls. It was beyond horrible.
On days like today, I can so clearly see why we have chosen to live like we do, simply and with an honest appreciation for the term, "down to earth".

James 5: 7 Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 8 You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near

Comments

I am so coveting your winter garden--I look lovingly at the herbs and scented geramiums in your baskets. What version of the Bible do you use for the posted quotations? My favorite is NKJ with English Standard a close runner up. I enjoy going on the Bible Gateway site just to compare the wording of well-loved texts. Our video-sermon this week was Mic Thurber--Keene. I remember a program his dad and uncle put on many years ago in MA. I think I'm reaching the age of wallowing in "I remember...."
Patty said…
For the quotes I use on the blog I use the NIV for ease of reading. For my own study, for the old testament I use the Hebrew Tanakh. For the New I use whichever translation I happen to grab, which is most likely to be the Jewish New Testament or the NIV.
Your garden looks wonderful. I think it is wonderful that you have two growing seasons.
Baby goats are adorable! For my daughter's eighth birthday, we gave her two baby Nubian goats. She was thrilled, and they became great pets.
The children used to take them for walks, and they never strayed more than a few feet away.
Country living is definitely great for children, as well as adults.

Popular Posts