The Newest Arrival


Just around 1 this afternoon, Licorice began the final stages of labor and around 2 this sweet little doe kid was born.
Melanie was over visiting so she and Mei-Ling got to see the baby goat right away. Mei-Ling "worked" in the milk house part of the barn while Melanie and I watched the kid being born. We both stood where we could watch both babies at the same time. All is well and now I get to look forward to night time feedings for a few days.
Last night around 2 a.m. Harry chased a skunk that found a very tiny area open under our house, then the skunk sprayed while under the house in the area of our bedroom. I cannot explain the level of stink that created for us. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep last night. Farm life is oh so much fun !
Wish Harry would like to stay inside at night but he loves to be out in the wilds protecting us from "fierce" critters like skunks and possums : )

Comments

Deanna said…
Awww...what a sweet baby. Just out of curiosity, why do you have to do the feeding? Can't Licorice do that?
Patty said…
Like many folks that raise dairy goats, we take the babies from their moms right away, that way the kid bonds to us, which makes for a much nicer adult goat to deal with. This way we milk the doe, and feed back to the baby just what it needs and any extra we get to use. And when you show goats, the hand milking keeps the udder looking better, instead of having the kids sorta beat up the momma's udder.
Cute kid! Actually, cute kids!
Where do you purchase the extra thick pads that Mei-Ling is holding?
I need to buy some.
Patty said…
Hi Nancy,
got the pads at walmart in the pet section.
Lisa said…
oh my goodness so cute!!
Granny said…
NO! How long does it take for the stink to leave? Chad hit one with his car a few weeks ago and our garage smelled for days! The baby is so cute!! Glad you answered why you have to do the feeding. I was wondering the same thing. We're fixing to get some chickens . . talk about feeling just a bit like I don't know what I'm doing here! :)
aimee said…
So cute!! I love babies:)My sibling used to have pygmy goats-perhaps you've said before--but what breed are yours?
Sorry to hear your home is suffering from the skunk effect! Is there any thing you can do at all?
BTW--I've been wanting to thank you for all your beautiful photos of TX!! I may not always comment but I really enjoy seeing them:)
Blessings, A
Deanna said…
Thanks for explaining about the bottle feeding. That makes sense, although it seems a little sad to deprive the baby of nursing. I know, I know...it's an animal, not a human baby. (grin)
Unknown said…
My daughter Chloe said she loves all the animals. She also said that Mei-Ling was lucky to have all those pets.
Anabella

Popular Posts