Long Conversations

Lately I have noticed that people hate to spend a lot of time talking. Its almost as though, if you want to tell someone something you need to have it condensed into some 30 second synopsis.
Have we lost our patience for long leisurely conversations about life ?
Meals peppered with talk about what you think about or stories of the good old days are wonderful ways of passing on family history.
I am all for taking time to talk. Turn off the cell phone, enjoy a meal that last an hour or more and find out something new about someone you have known for a long time.
You may just find out that a long conversation is better than any television show !

The tree is now decorated, except for the candle holders.

Comments

Your tree looks splendid, Patty! I'm looking forward to decorating ours. We don't get it until next week though.
I know what you mean about conversation being a rarity. I work mostly with men, and unless you can get your point over in about 20 seconds, they glaze over!
Hence, after 20 years of this I have to work hard at not seeming abrupt 'in real life'!
Gina said…
The tree is beautiful. It seems to me that people love a long cell phone conversation as they are driving or sitting in the doctor's office. LOL! Seriously, I do wonder if conversation is a lost art. I am thankful to have a group of friend who enjoy conversation and healthy debate. It is a true pleasure to pass time with them.
Genuine Lustre said…
My husband and I talk about the need to clean up our speech. Slang and shortcuts and chatter slips in and takes the place of deep thoughts and carefully chosen words. The conversations in old movies adn books are beautiful, and we have lost that art of conversation.
Marci said…
Good post Pat. I think because I spend so much time alone, I long for those long conversations even more. I am still praying daily for Melanie and baby!!

Popular Posts