Thoughts on a Winter Day



Maybe its my age. Maybe its all I have seen in life. Maybe its just a general weariness from watching the way people in need are ignored in the world. Homeless people seem invisible to us, starving children on the t.v. don't seem real. Asian workers in U.S. territories living and working in slave like conditions making things we purchase without a care of how they were made. It doesn't have to be this way. And Christmas time is a good time to make some changes in how we all see things.
Young families just starting out with so little. We might say it's good for them to do without or shake our heads when they use a credit card to buy food. Maybe we should pay their bill when we see them take out that plastic. And just tell them to remember to pass it on some time in life.
All of us know that "all beginnings are hard" so why not help out.
Does it even matter if they mismanage their money a bit ? Did you ever do that ? I did.
When our first child was born and we lived on less than $5 an hour income (I stayed home when we had our family, so we only had one income) my mother, of blessed memory, would do food her shopping and stop by my house with a couple bags of food. Telling me, "these were on sale, two for one, so I picked one up for you". Mercy and compassion. We need to love that much. And not only our families, but our neighbor, our fellow humans, no matter where they live or how they live. Compassion is an amazing teacher.
Maybe this morning I am remembering the ideals of youth, or perhaps its being reminded of the message of Jesus this time of the year since it is the time we celebrate his birth, and we celebrate it in such a huge way because of his greatness and his humble life....
I thought since so many in the world are preparing to celebrate his life, it might be a good idea to share what he stood for, what he taught that made him so great.
No matter what religion you are, there is great wisdom in the things he taught. I often wonder what kind of church would come from just using the words of Christ and nothing else. It is my thought, that you would see a very different type of church than what we see now in the world.
I am no fan of how the churches twist and turn the words to make them work with their personal agendas, justify their lofty ways or how they emphasize a word of Paul to make them feel higher on the scale of righteous beings by comparing themselves to those that don't do this or don't do that.
As I sit here typing this out, I wonder if Jesus stepped into my living room today, what he would think about my way of celebrating his birth. A tree, pine boughs, presents for my family, cookies, etc. I suspect he would like to see acts of compassion from me, given to others more than all the glitz. Gift giving is an important aspect of Christmas and has great value, when done with modesty, and moderation and not forgetting to give of ourselves all year long.
Perhaps, he would understand this celebration of his birth if I had given compassion in his name to those in need, along with the other gifts I have given.

On a personal note, I am not so sure I would be thrilled to go to a birthday party for me, and it was celebrated by giving gifts to everyone but me, but that is the very human side of me.
So here are some of the things he said to us, let us not forget the teachings of the man we are celebrating this week. Let these words direct our actions and our thoughts....

Matthew 5:
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

16: In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
44 But I tell you: Love your enemies.

Matthew 6:
19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life.

Matthew 19:
21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Comments

Anonymous said…
You hit the nail right on the head with what Christmas should be about! Christmas wishes to you and your family :-)

Popular Posts