Just a Simple Gal

The night before our anniversary, we dressed up, and went out to a nice restaurant to celebrate. Emery had offered to take me to a more expensive restaurant but to be honest spending lots of money on a meal seems a huge waste to me and makes me feel very uncomfortable. The thought of spending a weeks grocery money on one meal seems sinful to me. That's me, and not a judgment on anyone else. That is just something that I feel for me.
I compromised and went to a good restaurant but not very expensive, but as you know we both got sick from the food. No doubt our bodies are not used to fried anything and we both had something fried.
On the actual date of our anniversary, Emery wanted to take me out again to make up for the less than pleasant results from the night before.
He asked where I would like to go.... prepare to have a laugh....Whole Foods Market was my place of choice. Yes, it is a food store, but they have wonderful, healthy prepared hot foods you can buy and sit in the little cafe section of the store. I love it. So we shopped a bit, the bulk isle is heaven to me. We purchased a quart of soy egg nog, and a baked goodie from the bakery section and found some of our favorite hot foods to buy.
With our heavy down filled jackets on, we sat by the fish tank, microwaved our baked goodie for a minute to warm it up, poured our egg nog into paper cups, and had our meal in take out containers, plastic utensils and felt like newlyweds all over again. It would have been something we did way back when.
It was a light bulb moment, its not really about the food or the atmosphere, its about being so in love that the externals don't matter. They are just that, externals. I am going to remember this meal with great fondness. It was simply simple, filled with hand holding, looking into each others eyes and laughing at the fun it was. I wore my tie dye long sleeve tee shirt, wool socks, hiking boots, and jeans, along with the big down jacket to fight off the cold air. Emery, flannel shirt, jeans and hiking boots, and of course his coat that is big and overstuffed with down.
The clothes didn't matter either. It was being in each others company, and the soft laughter we shared. The playing footsie under the table, with hiking boots ! It was being so caught up in each others presence that nothing else mattered.
We shared yogurt covered pretzels too. Came home with bags of goodies, including our new favorite snack, Vegetable chips, found in the bulk section. Green beans, zucchini, sweet potatoes and more. Really tasty things.
When we got home, there was a beautiful bouquet and a bottle of my favorite perfume, and of course a card, waiting for me. A gentle man, that makes it just right to be in a market celebrating the way I like best.

Comments

Kelli said…
Happy Anniversary, Patty and Emery! Your date sounds perfect.
Kelli
Anonymous said…
You've put a big smile on my face this morning!
smilnsigh said…
Beautiful entry! I was just pointed here, by Debra of http://debrasotherthoughts.blogspot.com/

And I know I'm going to love visiting here.

Popular Posts