Dr Bob

I woke this morning to fog that made the world outside my bedroom window look as though someone was holding a chiffon curtain in front of my view. It seemed mysterious and hauntingly beautiful.
I could not wait to get out there and take pictures.
It was going to be easy to find pictures of interest to put on my blog this morning.
But something changed between getting the pictures and putting them on the blog. I turned on the T.V. Good Morning America was on. Emery and I were hoping to hear something about the hikers lost on Mt Hood in Oregon. What I heard though, left me speechless, inspired and wanting to help.
There was a segment on Dr Bob Paeglow from Albany New York. This man is not only Christianity in action, but also a wonderful example of humanity.
There is no way I can do this story justice so I am including with credits, what is was on the GMA web site. I am including links to Dr Bobs web site and his blog. Please, please check out his blog.
Something Dr Bob said, has not left me this morning... "I began to have this incredible sorrow that the world was not better because I was here than if I was never born." I am thinking that very thought for myself.....now what to do. Suddenly the fog outside didn't seem very important. And giving for Christmas has a different meaning.


Dr Bob's web page http://www.drbobcares.org/
Dr Bob's blog http://www.drbobcares.org/blog/
A story about Dr Bob http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/awards/paeglow.htm

Here is what the GMA site had to say about Dr Bob...

Heroic Doctor Sacrifices Everything to Help Needy
Family Lives Rent-Free in Church Rectory
Dec. 15, 2006 — - To those who need him most, Robert Paeglow is called simply "Dr. Bob."
But he's so much more than a doctor to them, he's also a confidant, a spiritual adviser and a hero.
Paeglow has taken the least likely of journeys in his life.
Twenty years ago, he was living comfortably as an X-ray technician when suddenly he had an epiphany.
"I began to have this incredible sorrow that the world was not better because I was here than if I was never born," Paeglow said. "That's the thing that scared me the most -- that I had an opportunity to make a difference for somebody else and I didn't."
So at age 36, despite having a wife, four kids and a mortgage, he decided to go to medical school.
"I knew what his grades were in college, and I knew it would be an act of God to get him in," said his wife, Liliane Paeglow.
But he did get in. In 1994, he graduated from Albany Medical College in New York.
He started working in a family practice and spending his vacation time going on missions to Africa helping the desperately needy there, but his thirst to help others still wasn't quenched.
Five years ago, Paeglow gave up everything all over again to open a clinic in the poorest section of Albany, the area where he'd grown up.
"In many ways, these are the forgotten people, you know -- the folks that you kind of drive by their neighborhoods on the highway and you never see their faces," he said. "We got a vision to open a center where they could have all their needs met -- their medical needs, their spiritual needs, food, clothing, whatever to the best of our ability."
Paeglow treats his patients, prays with his patients, and gives them medicine if he has it. If he doesn't, he'll pay for it, if need be.
As a result, the Paeglows have very little that is their own. They live rent-free in a church rectory. Their car was donated, and their savings account is nonexistent.
"It was worth it. Worth it that I was able to fulfill a dream. Take care of people who no one else really cares much about," he said. "I consider myself a very rich person. I don't have any money, but I am rich."
Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2728557

Comments

Sunny said…
He is rich indeed in that he is fulfilling the dream of so many-to make a real difference.
Anonymous said…
I am a close friend of Dr. Bob's and have tried to get the Oprah Show to notice him by sending hundreds of e-mails, letters and videos - without any reply. I am hoping that more people will respond like you did and see something special in this amazing individual. The story on GMA only scratched the surface of the outstanding work this man does with the poor and those who have lost hope. He treats everyone who enters his clinic with respect,dignity and friendship. His patients are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, black, white, rich & poor. We collect children's books, Christmas gifts, towels, furniture, coats - whatever his patients need. Dr. Bob is personally broke and struggles to make payroll each and every week. But you would never know it by the way he starts every day - with nothing put a smile and the feeling that maybe today will be the day that our miracle will happen. Let's hope that day is a little closer! Theresa

Popular Posts