December 1st Thoughts

I slept late, 8:30 is late for me.
Waking to the scent of my husbands cologn on his pillow, it just felt wonderful. Somehow I ended up on his side of the bed and had my head resting on his pillow. Honestly I can't think of a better way to wake up on a cold morning than the way I did.
The house was not freezing cold but chilly, so the piles of blankets on top of me felt good. The morning sun streaming in through the lace curtains, casting golden patterns across the bed.
Out the window, I could see little mounds of snow under the trees and roof tops of white from where I was. It was hard to force myself out of bed, so I lingered, just thinking.
I thought about the past 5 days a bit, reflecting. Smiling to myself, thinking how it seems I came very close to perfecting " The Art of Doing Nothing". Certainly things were accomplished, like washing clothes and dishes, cooking and some tidying up, but they seemed minor to the way I gave into the art of doing nothing.

Wandering the land, looking at nature with a child like heart. Reading from 3 books at the same time, knitting on a scarf for only 10 minutes at a time, then knitting on some blue baby booties. Looking at old pictures, skipping going to the gym altogether. Dressing chic at times and staying in my pajama's until noon on other days.
At Weight Watchers this week they asked if we were taking time for ourselves. Taking moments to rejuevenate. I had to smile.... seems like in the last little while I have become a master of that. Taking time for myself and plugging in to what is important in my life. It is part of this new stage in life where I am having to redefine who I am and reinvent myself a bit.
Its a strange time, a bit confussing, a bit frightening in a way, to be 52 and wonder what you want to do when you grow up ! But at the same time, its delightfully fun. Emery and I dating again, yet at the same time, full of anticipation of our first grandbaby and having so much enjoyment from seeing our children married and so in love with their spouces. It feels a bit like sitting back and saying to ourselves, "well done" regarding how we raised our children. Much like planting a wonderful garden and enjoying the harvest. We worked hard raising our family and we are seeing an amazing return for our work.

Snow flurries yesterday

Items associated with my "doing nothing" week

Comments

JacquiG said…
I am so glad to hear that you are spending time perfecting "the art of doing nothing". With all you've been up to for the past few months you must be exhausted. A stint of "doing nothing" should be just what the doctor ordered!

I had to smile when you said "52 and wonder what you want to do when you gro up!". I've been wondering that as well, but all I've come up with so far is that I want to be retired and have time to spend of the things I want to do instead of things I have to do.

Enjoy your down time, Patty. Once that grandbaby arrives you'll have your hands (joyfully) full!

Jackie in ON
Patty it sounds like you have had a nicely balanced week. Your life sounds so totally blessed.
Patty said…
Yes, Wendy my life is totally blessed, not to say there are not bumps in the road, but always God is Merciful and carries us through those times.
Anonymous said…
You make me feel better, Patty, because I'll be 45 years old in a couple of weeks and I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either! :o)
Anonymous said…
Nice to read your text, again.
Your way of spending time sounds like the way of life that avoids wars and misery. We should really enjoy this what we have - alway developing, but in the tempo that is correct for a living person, thinking person...

Popular Posts