"Let your gentleness be evident to all."


Let your gentleness be evident to all...
Phil 4:5
Yesterday, I watched a woman conducting business with a sales person and although I couldn't put my finger on exactly what seemed a bit abrupt in her attitude, there was something just a bit wrong.   I spent much of the afternoon thinking on and off about what I had seen and heard, you know during the down time in the day,  in those moments when there is time to think, like when washing dishes or hanging laundry on the line.  I saw a bit of myself in this woman and I think that is what bothered me.  I really don't want to come across the way she did.  It was nothing overtly offensive, but just maybe a bit pushy or something.   Finally when I sat down to do a bit of knitting it came to me, just what was missing in the conversation I had heard.  There was no gentleness in her.  Not a single soft word, even though she never was unkind or harsh.  It was that there was no gentleness evident.  Even in doing business we need to let our gentleness be evident to all.  Often we seem to equate gentleness with weakness and just the opposite is true.  Gentleness is strength.   From a woman's point of view, a Christian woman, the need for me to have a gentle and meek spirit is very important.   Its a goal for me.  I fall short far too often.  In prayer I ask God to make the moments when I fail, to be very obvious to me, so I can correct them.  Understand where my heart was at the moment when gentleness faded into the background.   The journey we call life is often a trip where we must stop often and ask directions from above. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
There are times when I remember conversations I have had previously, and I can see where my testimony was not as evident as it should be.

Thank you for this. You are quite right on this, but when you are in the moment, it is a bit hard to remember.

Maria
Always Learning said…
This is just what I need to hear today. I need to work on being gentle. My husband has told me this many times...
Rose said…
Dear Patty, i also had a lesson learnt yesterday. I went for my first mammogram yesterday afternoon,it was routine screening,apparently i have reached thar age!Feeling slightly anxious,i arrived to find the receptionist alittle stearn and hoped the technician would be slightly warmer, no she was much the same.This upset me so much i came home, head full of conflict, i sat down and wrote a rather harsh post, full of how dare these ladies working in a caring enviroment be so unfeeling. Thankfully i decided to have evening tea before publishing my post. This gave me time to think some more, i realised i had become like those ladies, stearn and unfeeling. We cannot change how other people behave,we can only be responable for our own behavior.
I wrote my post in away which is not normally how i behave or think.
Thankfully i did not publish the post. A lesson learnt for me.x

Popular Posts