Changes in Life


In the past 10 months I have lost 40 lbs, 25 of that being lost in the past 9 weeks, when I got serious about weight loss.  At the beginning of this month, Steven, Priscilla, Emery and I began attending a program called Coronary Health Improvement Project.  Its a month long series of lectures on improving your health, not limited to Coronary health but also Hypertension and Diabetes.   The seminar is being held at a nearby hospital, with a Doctor at each meeting to answer questions and add information to the video lectures.  There is also a dietitian and specially trained professionals for the program, helping us along the way.  At the beginning of the seminar we had our blood drawn and had our weight and blood pressure taken.  The Doctor went over our results a couple weeks later, showing where we needed improvement.   At each meeting, we are also served samples of food from the plant based diet they have us eat.  The food has been fantastic !  The information, nothing less than enlightening.   Each video lecture along with the live lecture aspect is backed by mounds of scientific research.  This coming Monday we will have our follow up lab work done and I am so anxious to see what improvements have been made.  Honestly, I have never felt this good in years.  The eating plan is well balanced, filling, you can eat as much as you want of the foods that are part of the program.  Meat and fish are out, but we have never eaten much meat anyway, so that's no hardship for us.  Fats are limited, complex carbs are abundant on this plan, lots of whole grains, vegetables and fruits.  Sugars and salt are also limited.  Exercise is encouraged.  If I thought we eat healthy before this, I now know we had room for improvement.   My skin looks healthier, and sweet Elizabeth came over to me last night and said, "Mimi, you have a sparkle in your eye, how did you get it there ?"  Weight is coming off easily too.  My blood pressure has come way down along with my heart rate.  Everyone in the class is amazed at how easy this program is to follow and how many positive changes in their health has taken place in such a short time.
These seminars are held throughout the world and the results are all the same.  Stick to it and you can even reverse coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes. 
I have copied a few testimonials from the CHIP webpage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHIP Graduates

•"I have lost 25 pounds now all together and am off my lantus insulin, 47 units daily, and no more regular sliding scale insulin. Thanks again for all you have done to impact my life in a positive way, and for giving me the knowledge to make the right choices for myself and for my health! I am a lot healthier today than I was when we first met."
- Sherry Kok, Director of Nursing (IL)


•"The more I learn about the CHIP concept and its clinical results, the more I am impressed. It is a fantastically practical way to capture the essence of health education and making a big difference in the lives of many."- Darren Morton, PhD, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Education, Avondale College (AUS)


•"I graduated from the 2005 CHIP program in Boring, OR. Monte and I changed our diet significantly, and my diabetes improved and my pancreatic attacks ceased. Last year, I took another stab at improving my lifestyle. I set a goal of walking across Oregon in 25 days! It was hard at first. I started slowly in my driveway. But by March of this year, I was into it. On May 31 I started my Across Oregon Walk at The Dalles (OR/WA border). I walked 5 days a week for 6 hours a day averaging 13 to 14 miles a day. And on July 1 at 10 AM I crossed the OR/CA border! It was a wonderful experience. I will treasure the memories. And in the process, I also went from a size 14 to a size 8. And I have begun a little jogging." --Beth Nogle, Oregon


•"Based on documented, sound nutritional practices, this approach is for anyone who wants to improve their lifestyle and well-being. Following the principles of this program helped me lose weight, feel better, and have more confidence in my health."
- Peg Haffey, 3rd Grade Teacher (IL)


•"CHIP changed our lifestyle. We feel healthy, we eat healthy. I wish all of the doctors would be aware of it. I would highly recommend it. I don't see why doctors don't recommend it more"
- Mark Corke, Dentist (FL)


•"I lost 52 lbs., cholesterol dropped 50 points, and I have more energy than I can remember. Thank you for CHIP."
- Lynda Kettering


•"My wife (61 yr) and I (63 yr) recently completed the four week Coronary Health Improvement Project (CHIP) in Colorado Springs. In four short weeks my wife lost 10 pounds, and I lost 15 pounds coupled with my cholesterol drop of 63 points. We were never hungry; and we were able to eat as much as we wanted while losing weight and lowering cholesterol."
- 2 Happy CHIPpers from Colorado Springs


•ULCERATIVE COLITIS: The Turn-Around! My wife has battled Ulcerative Colitis since 2004 with steroids and other powerful drugs, until we found the answer. Now Rachel has been completely well for the last 18 months taking no medications. Known as an autoimmune disease similar to Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis progressively involves colon bleeding, cancer risk after some 10 years, possible colon removal and a life that is centered upon one issue all the time: the colon. Realizing the seriousness of this disease in 2006, and not finding any substantive answers, we became interested in health education and lifestyle medicine as so powerfully represented by the CHIP program with its emphasis on whole foods. By focusing increasingly on fresh fruits and vegetables and becoming certified as CHIP directors, we made terrific improvements as a family. Our children love Dr. Diehl and his CHIP program. And Rachel has been completely well for the last 18 months. We thank God that we found the answer.
--Mike Weaver Harrisonburg VA


"Ulcerative Colitis is an autoimmune disease with an up-regulated inflammatory response. We have had several cases, similar to the one described above, that have done quite well by following some of the principles of the CHIP program under medical supervision."
--R Greenlaw MD, ABHM FACP/G
Gastroenterology Clinical Professor of Medicine,
University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Rockford
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

top picture was two years ago and the bottom picture was taken last week I have a long way to go, but making progress !

Comments

Good for you, Patty! Such an improvement in the two pictures. Good luck with your bloodwork. I'm sure you will post excellent results.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois
Lisa said…
Congratulations on your weight loss and health improvement Pat! You are looking fantastic, a big change in two years' time! Knowing you are feeling better and have improved your numbers is what really matters. Because of your experience, I'll be looking into the CHIP program. Lisa in NM
Always Learning said…
Good for you, Patty! I just wrote a post on how bad candy is for you:

http://lorialexander.blogspot.com/2011/10/candy-makes-you-sick-and-fat.html

My mom had ulcerative colitis when I was 5, almost 50 years ago and got completely well be eating fruits and vegetables. She is 80 years old now and doing great!

Blessings,
Lori
Anonymous said…
Patty, I am so happy for you! You look great! I have been trying to get more information about CHIP, in my area, but I don't think anything like that is offered. Hopefully I can find something but in the meantime, I am going to watch you transform into a beautiful butterfly! LoL
Carole said…
Wow, congratulations, you look really good ! Elisabeth's remark is really sweet.
Kathy said…
You look wonderful! I so need to do this....
Your photos show a dramatic change--you must feel so much better at the lower weight.
I have never battled weight, but have some other health issues to deal with.
A CHIPS program was started in our WY church--fell apart after a few weeks due to disagreements among the presenters.
The gluten, soy and legume laden traditional diet of vegetarians has never worked for me, but I tolerate dairy and egg based dishes well.
We are happy to be living again where we can raise a significant part of our food; this is important to us, both financially and in terms of healthier eating. The amount of sugar we consume is one of my bigger concerns at this point--tradtitional baking is so inter-woven with our concept of home and hospitality.
Thanks for posting this!
Rosemary said…
Patty, what a great program to take part in with your loved ones. I so need help to eat healthy. I am going to see if CHIP is offered in Canada. Yours, Rosemary
Jenn said…
Wow! Good for you, Patty! Thanks for the link to the CHIP program. I'll look into it!

Popular Posts