First Fire of The Season


We knew a cold front was coming our way so Emery had brought in a stack of wood and kindling for me.   I love our wood heat and can't imagine my life without it.  For about 21 years we have used wood heat and I never grow tired of it.  Yes, its a bit more work then turning on a thermostat, but I get such delight out of seeing the smoke curl above our roof, and find great joy in cooking a soup all day long on top of the stove.  And no one can dispute the wonder of heating our home for less than $400 a year and that would be a very cold winter.  Last year we spent less than $150 for the entire winter on heat, (wood purchased).     This morning as the fire burned brightly, casting its copper colored reflections on the floor, I heard the farm gate open, its sound so familiar, so distinct.   Then passing by the window, my gentle husband marching by with a 50 lb sack of feed slung over his shoulder.  Pep in his step, with a look of contentment on his face.  A wink and a smile as he looked in at me watching him.  Such love we share.  Such a commitment to living a simple life, uncomplicated by the externals we so often take on when there is no need to.  Soon the oatmeal is bubbling in the pot on the stove.  Sweet dark cherries popping up amid the rolled oats and barley.  We bow our heads and fold our hands as a prayer of thanksgiving is shared.  Emery always squeezes my hand with his strong Amen.   He never fails to do that and I know what it means.  Its his way of letting me know every single day that he is thankful to God that I am his wife.  He tells me that too.    There is a comfort in our love that goes far beyond words between the two of us.   We often laugh now after all these years together, that we cannot remember the last time we disagreed on something, its been so long.  We are like minded, share a purpose, share goals.  We pray together, honestly pray, not the kind of prayer with fancy wording, but heart prayer. 
Its a beautiful day, and my heart overflows with gratitude for this day.

Comments

~Laurie said…
Lovely post. Very touching and heartwarming. It won't be long until we will be firing up the wood stove here. I know the feeling of having your man walk by with a wink and a smile while sharing the burdens of labor and later enjoying the fruits of that very labor. Thanks for sharing!
Sharon said…
Beautiful post.Brings to my mind the scripture "the blessings of the Lord maketh rich and addeth no sorrow with it."
aimee said…
I love woodstoves too--we don't have one, unfortunately, but when I am staying with my sibling I LOVE theirs! It seems like wood heat warms you up in a way that electric heat cannot.
I am glad your husband is feeling SO much better!
Be blessed,
Aimee
Anonymous said…
What joy to have such a like minded husband. It is a true blessing indeed!

Maria

Popular Posts