An Experiment

Twice in the last 15 years I have tried a social experiment of sorts. Wondering if I can get an idea of what the true and honest climate is within Christianity in my area.
The first experiment took place just about 15 years ago when I was in the thick of the homeschooling community. Very fundamental folks in this group and at this time, many were starting to have problems with their teenagers. Most of the parents tried hard to keep their problems well hidden and they tried to maintain this "keeping up appearances" mode. I decided to see just what my closest of friends in that community would do if I just changed one thing in my home, sounds silly doesn't it ? How could one "thing" make a difference when I remained the very same. I put up a table in the living room with candles on it and a bird feather. Nothing else. No other changes made in the home and certainly none in my words, deeds or beliefs. One by one these very fundamental Christian women came to the house for one reason or another, having to do with our children's schooling or some event we were all involved in. Each person without exception, sat and glared at the colored candles. They did not mean anything more to me than some colored candles on a table with a bird feather we had found at one time laying in front of them. No one asked me about them, asked me if something was changing in my beliefs or anything. But without exception, each and every single woman got on the bee line of gossip and called everyone they had chance to and said I was becoming a "new ager" and surely no longer a Christian. Soon, within a months time, no one would even come to my house. Objects are objects, and meaningless unless we assign them some meaning. My candles were meaningless to me, nothing more than 4 or 5 candles on a table. Not one person asked about my spiritual state of being, asked if I was heading in a different direction, asked to pray with me or pray for me. Out of the dozen or so folks that came to my house, they represented a wide range of denominations and levels of professed fundamental Christianity.
They simply, one by one, said nothing to me, but gossiped to others about what they assumed was going on. The solution to their suspicions was one thing only, gossip.
I wondered how many times I did the very same thing in the past, was I guilty of such unloving behavior at some point in time too ? I looked deep to find that answer. I was not without fault.

I questioned, how so many followers of Jesus could be so unlike him. I wondered how many really knew what He believed, what He taught, what He stood for. I wondered if the lives of many have become so full of judgement and a kind of religious superiority complex that they lost sight of His very commands to love one another and to follow his teachings regarding judging others. This little experiment woke me up to watch how I see and feel about others. Living a life that reflects the pure teachings of Jesus seems like what Christians should strive for, doesn't it ? Is love, compassion, caring and kindness so hard for people to hold in their hearts and determine their actions ?

To read about my other social experiment that I conducted in 2007, click here for a blog post written in 2007

Comments

Deanna said…
I remember reading your post about wearing the t-shirt but it still brought tears to my eyes just now as I read it again. I hope it's okay with you that I'm going to share it on Facebook. It needs to be read.
Patty said…
sure Deanna, feel free to share it
Linda said…
There is no venom deadlier than than of fundamentalist Christians because their venom kills the soul.

I no longer attend church. Religion in Texas can take that desire out of you.

I left Texas for 3 reasons, heat, religion, and politics.

Since living in Oregon I went back to church for a short time. I thought I should try one more time, in a different setting, but I realized during the sermon one morning that there was nothing there for me anymore.

In my mind there's little difference between Muslim extremists and Christian extremists.

Sorry, you touched the most painful part of my life. I cry today at the thought of it, some 30 years later.
Corrine said…
Wow, good for you. I've come face to face with "fanatical" views before, but not having to live with them, makes it easy to pretend they don't exist. Sometimes you have to hold up mirrors to let others see how they look (and behave)
I realize that I sometimes judge a person by their appearance or behavior. And it may be that how a person chooses to present themselves should have a bearing or give a clue to how they relate to society and other people. The truly sad thing is that although wanting freedom of choice for ourselves, we are less than tolerant of the choices which others make. Another question is how do we react when we feel that the choices others are making are harmful? Sometimes the best intentioned actions or words can come across as arrogant or judgemental, intolerant. I think the questions you've raised in these two posts are questions that we have all had to struggle with.
minervabird said…
When he was young, my father was a Carmelite monk and was studying for the priesthood. Let's just say the closed-mindedness he perceived around him caused him to leave. He still had (and now) feels a calling, but he expresses it with his private relationship with the deity. And he keeps it private. My brother and I were brought up in no religion...we were left free to choose. Interestingly, neither he nor I are churchgoers, but we follow private spiritual practice. I'm very grateful for my father's choice, because when I read about religious intoleration, it just makes me ill. I'm sorry you went through these things Patty, but good for you for thinking for yourself.
I am not, and never have been a "fundamentalist" but I think one needs to be careful not to paint everyone with a broad brush. People who are rigid, and judgmental will be that way, no matter what their beliefs are.
Jeni said…
I think to some degree we all do this -the judgmental thing. Sometimes it is a conscious act, sometimes so subtle it is on a sub-conscious level. My son says he wants nothing to do with "organized religions" (meaning of course, attending church) because in his opinion, church goers are all just a bunch of hypocrites. And yes, that too is true but then by deeming people as being hypocrites is also casting judgment on them and we're also taught to "Judge not, lest ye be judged" aren't we? Your experiment is very much like the social experiment done yeara ago in an Iowa elementary school where a class was divided by the color of their eyes and told people with blue eyes were better -or people with brown eyes were better -to see what reaction the children would have. An excellent study in prejudicial thinking and bias, for sure.
sheila said…
Very interesting indeed! I've written alittle on the subject of hypocrites and religion. Every religion has them. You've got the muslims who read the Koran and think killing people is necessary. You've got Christians who sit in church every sunday and profess their faith while cheating on their spouse during the week...or stealing at a store. Every religion has issues that's for sure.

This is actually one reason why I enjoy studying all religions. It cuts away the crap and gets to the historical reason of why we believe in who and what. Historically speaking it's a beautiful thing.

Lovely post. Not surprising. But eye opening for many who don't normally 'see' it. :)
Snaggle Tooth said…
So many pass judgement without thorough knowledge.

Religion of any sort can have certain, narrow views n a quality of intolerance.

of course Jesus accepted everyone from all walks of life, even lepers!

I have friends with differing beliefs, n we need to allow other beliefs to accept the people.
Goosd for you realizing you did something similar at times- Altho we may try not to, we make judgements about acquaintances every day-

Currently I practice devotion to the Creator on my own...
was raised Catholic tho-
Hopped over from Paige's blog

Popular Posts