Daily Tasks, A Repost


As I was doing this very same job this morning I was thinking the very same thoughts I did in December of 2005 when I wrote this little post. Some things just stay the same and I like that.


"When the children were growing up, this was one of my oldest daughters chores. To wash the chimneys of the lamps and fill them. She would also expertly trim the wicks so they would burn the best. Often times the whole counter top by the sink was lined up with lamps. The task is now mine but hardly a time goes by when I am filling the lamps that I don't think about my daughter cleaning them and never complaining about it. There was always a song in her heart as she helped out. There is something satisfying about making the glass shine, knowing how bright the light will be in the evening hours because you did a good job. I am grateful for work around the home and our little farm. It gives you a purpose. Everything we do around here is for a greater purpose than the task itself. Gibran wrote, " Work is love made visible." Profound and hopefully true for everyone. It is for me and I know it is for my husband. In the evenings when the warmth and glow from the woodstove creates for us a sense of well being, our conversation is filled with hope, plans, joys, and contentment. Tonight the light from the lamps will shine very bright as does our future. "

Comments

beautiful photo. ok, so I have a few questions about using the lamps. I am learning a lot and want to learn more. you mentioned your daughter trimmed the wicks for the best burn - how or what way, shape? What is the best oil to use (are some good, some not-so-good)? Where can you get it? Where to get wicks (again are some wicks better than others)? I have a few lamps (on my long list) to get some parts for and hope to get that taken care of this summer so we can start to use them. Emily
Patty said…
I will do a post about the use of the lamps and how to care for the wicks etc sometime this weekend

Popular Posts