Cheese Making Day

There was lots of goats milk in the fridge this morning so decided it was the day to make up a batch of Ricotta cheese. Its a simple cheese to make and takes very little time from start to finish.
Fias Co Farm has a good recipe with good instructions and its almost exactly how I make it. Just click their name and it should take you right to the recipe page for making Ricotta, and you can make it from store bought milk. Give it a try sometime, its fun to make and tastes so good. Thinking tomorrow will be lasagna making day, with all this cheese on hand.
After the cheese has hung up for an hour, I will break it up a bit, lightly salt it and then refrigerate it until later when I make the lasagna.
heating the milk to 200 degrees F
adding in the white vinegar
the cheese is starting to separate from the whey
a colander lined with fine cheesecloth
transferring the curds to the colander
the whey
ricotta will hang up over the sink for one hour

Comments

... Paige said…
Interesting and love the photos!
cheryl said…
I would love to do this but when you are paying $3.65 for 2 litres of milk it is not very cost efficient . You are truly blessed Patty to always have fresh milk and eggs on hand when you need them .
I have been getting raw cow's milk from a lady near by and have been making butter from it. I have heard that it is harder to make butter with goat's milk. Is that true? The lady with the cow is going to "dry her up" when her calf comes and I was thinking of using that time to try fresh goat's milk.
Patty said…
Yes, Emily its much more difficult to make butter with goats milk since it is naturally homogenized. You have to use a cream seperator to make it easily
Marci said…
I made cheese today too!!! I made some sweet cheese for a danish and some jalapeno cheese and I still have some to do up. I may do Italian. :)

Popular Posts