A Perfect Summer Morning


The pasture is dry, bone dry. Time to set the sprinkler up and give it a soaking which is exactly what I did. Its a gorgeous morning, sun shining, a little breeze, cool in the shade of the oak trees set in a circle. I set my chair up in the middle of the trees and just watched the morning go by.
The hens were softly clucking, the goats emitting tiny maaahhhh's with a touch of indignance at not being able to roam their pasture freely without getting wet. Cicada's singing to one another from the tree tops and in the distance, crows calling out to a relative or two. My entire world seemed to slow down, almost stand still as I sat there watching the water of the sprinkler quench the thirst of the parched ground. I saw the strangest sight while out there letting the morning slip by, a humming bird, chasing the water of the sprinkler trying to get a sip of water. This tiny action machine would fly up to the highest water droplets and hoover, trying to sip some cool water. He did this many times but then opted for sitting on a leaf that had become a tiny bowl of water, just his size. Had I been inside doing something "constructive" by the old good housekeeping journals, well I would have missed all this beauty. Perhaps, this kind of morning falls under the heading of "Stop to Smell the Flowers". This morning, with all its glory, will never happen again...each moment in time a one time event and I can say for sure, that I am glad I didn't miss it.

Comments

Such a blessing those times are to us when we stop to enjoy the sights and sounds of God's creation!
Hoping you have more opportunities.
I enjoy the pictures of your place there and the sweet animals. The goat always makes me laugh. I had a dwarf goat when I was young. He was always into something.

Popular Posts