Looking Forward, Looking Back


This morning as I slipped out of bed, my bare feet hit the cold floor and had me running to my dresser to get some socks on my feet. A small reminder it is still winter. I took a quick peek out the window to see what the day was like. pulling back the homespun curtains revealed a sparkling blue sky , painted with ever so thin cirrus clouds. The wind is gentle today and not at all like yesterdays high winds. My eyes scanned the horizon where bare trees and grass the color of well seasoned straw caught my eye. I dressed in a hurry to get on with my chores as the clock was not allowing for daydreaming . Mr. Fergus MacSnow was barking his puppy bark, letting me know he is hungry and wants to play. Rooster Solomon, crowing up a storm to let everyone know he is still king of the roost. The rabbits banging their crocks together letting me know they are in need of food and water. Typical morning with some of the noisier critters.
The animal chores done, I move on to the domestic duties of the day. Laundry needing to be hung up. I am just not sure how it is that we have so much laundry all the time.
But it is a job I love to do. I love to hang things neatly. By category and then by color. I love to see the orderliness of a clothes line.
As I did my chores, there was a song in my heart. A song of gratefulness for all the blessings in my life. I look forward to so many new experiences. Grandchildren. More time with the love of my life, more time to give to others. And always with me are pleasant memories. Children working hard at their school work around the kitchen table. The family weeding the garden singing while we work. So many joys to a simple farm life. Seeing new life in spring. Baby animals born and gardens bursting with food to eat.
Lessons learned about having to work when you are tired, when you are not feeling well, knowing that animals depend on you for their care. Lessons of working together to complete a job. Now with the children gone, the work has fallen on just two sets of shoulders but we are strong and vital. We don't need a membership in a gym to keep fit. We lift 50 lbs on our shoulders as though it were 5 lbs. I get my aerobics by hanging clothes. Reaching up and down and hauling the laundry basket is a good 30 minute work out most days.
In looking back I see all that we taught our children and feel good about it. Looking forward, I see that I learned right along with them and I feel good about that too.

The picture is one of looking back. It is Melissa and Melanie in 1991

weather: 55 and sunny

music: psalms set to music
water on for a pot of Rose Petal tea

Comments

I am so happy you found me! I just spent the past little while going over your blog and marvelling at how your children have grown....and all the wonderful posts you've made!

I was feeling very distant and far away from friends today, and somehow you found me. It can't be coincidence :c)

Your comment in my blog didn't have your email attached so I had to come to yours to leave a message. I haven't heard from Kelly in I don't know how long. Your place looks so warm and wonderful in the pics, and all the homemade goodies! Thanks so much for inviting me in (and for remembering me!)
Love
Bonnie
I forgot to include info on the quilt frame because you said you were looking for one. I have tried EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) and I am most comfortable with a 16" hoop (the inexpensive kind) in my lap..sitting on the sofa with my feet on a footstool! I can quilt for hours this way.

I have tried a 3 rail frame..it takes up so much space, and I can only quilt towards myself very well...I got a back ache from sitting in a chair at it..just wasn't great for me. I have also tried one of those hinterbergy hoops on a stand...(expensive!) and I found I didn't like to quilt with it between my knees, especially if I was wearing a skirt! So the plain hoop works best for me. The key is in basting the quilt well before you start the quilting.

It is so good to be back in touch with you!

Bonnie
Patty said…
Thanks Bonnie for the info on the quilting frames. I have used the hoop but wondered if the frame was a better thing. Maybe I will just stick with what I have and save some money !
Genuine Lustre said…
The Amish who live around me have their clotheslines full in all weather -even on bitter snowy days.
I'm dearly attached to my clothesline, but fear I am a fair weather washerwoman!
It's a balmy springlike 36 degrees here today - no coats!
Patty said…
Hi Polly,
I too freeze dry my clothes in winter, along with my hands ! I do have fingerless gloves that i use to hang clothes up with but its still a good feeling to hold a steaming cup of tea or coffee after the chore. I must admit that I do on occastion, form the frozen shirts to wave. Not fully grown up !

Popular Posts