Did I sleep through Winter ?



My senses are confused. First off I slept late, almost 9 am before I got out of bed. For me, that's unheard of but with getting over this pneumonia thing, I feel a bit justified for having a morning in bed. However, it seems that sleeping late sets things a bit off kilter. I wasn't sure if I should do my chores first or put on the kettle.
I did the chores first, of course. But even stepping onto the back porch was different this morning. The old tired boards seemed to creek in a different tone and the screen door slammed with a tin sound to it. The morning air was warm and spring like. That soft gentle cool air that carries a bit of warmth to it as if to promise more is coming. I was feeling a bit lost in this unusual morning. I wondered if I had slept through winter altogether. A flock of Cow birds darted back and forth across the pasture, as if they were looking for something, maybe Spring. Dull colored female birds hopping on the even more dull colored ground reminded me of animated fall leaves. Nothing seemed normal this morning. The sky was cloudless and a shade of blue that held your attention for a long time. I kept trying to think of what shade of blue it was. Bright, clear and bold. I decided it was cobalt blue mixed with a bit of milk.
I lingered for a bit after chores, walking around a bit. Looking down at the ground half expecting to see crocus popping up or buds on the trees. The air had that smell of spring. The warming of the soil in the sun. I wonder what's in store for us in the new year weather wise. Maybe January will bring with it winter.
Each new day a blessing, with gifts from creation to delight the eye. As I write this, the front door is open and I can hear several song birds singing, delighting my ears also. Simple pleasures all around us. Who needs a TV or a radio ?

55 degrees out, sunny

Earl Grey tea in my favorite tea cup
no music except for the singing birds outside

Comments

Popular Posts