Taking A Walk In The Slow Lane


 Admittedly we are living in stressful times.   The news is full of tragic events, no matter which side of the fence you sit on.   In the past 18 months so much has happened to change the way we think, act and respond to one another.   Personally, its taken a toll on me.   I have always had low blood pressure, but not now...and suddenly I get hives when I am stressed.   How we manage our stresses seems to change as we get older and I find myself having to make a more concerted effort to manage mine.  But, in all fairness to myself, lots has gone on.   Right before the pandemic, I had arthroscopy on my left knee, then developed an I T band injury from working that knee out a bit too hard....long recovery but there wasn't much else to do, and then  6 months ago I had a shoulder injury repaired which I have to say, was a very painful recovery, still recovering actually.   So, there has been lots of things impacting my life.

But, as always, there is our little piece of tranquility, that we call home.   Marvelous flower gardens to stroll through each morning and evening, and inside our little home, there is peace in each corner.  Each room seems to reflect who we are and what we value.   Peaceful things...bookcases full to overflowing, spinning wheels and knitting baskets with yarn waiting to be turned into socks, or hats, or warm woolen sweaters.   Music to be played and candles to be lit.   There is a well stocked pantry with just the right ingredients for comforting food.  Soft feather beds, waiting to embrace us for a good nights rest.   We feel blessed and filled with gratitude even during these difficult times.   We have felt the pain of discord seen around us and mourned with others over their loss.  But always we feel strength from love.

This week I have vowed to surround myself, perhaps even insulate myself for a while with a quiet gentleness, a hug for the soul.   To not watch the news, to not be checking social media every hour, to not stress over the things I cannot control or change for the better.   

Chamomile Lavender tea, candles, incense, music I love, painting, reading inspirational words and calming words.  Stopping to just notice the color of the leaves as the sun hits them in late afternoon.  Walking through our butterfly garden and being amazed at the amount of colors and designs on the wings of these beautiful creatures.    We have been visited several times by a young red shouldered hawk in the past weeks.   He even sits on the fence post by our window in the living room.  One day as I stepped outside, he flew right past my face, not even 5 feet from me.   What a thrill it was.   We have several humming bird gardens too and yesterday, one tiny, shimmering green wonder, flew up to my face, not more than 5 inches from my nose and looked straight at me.  I felt such joy.... I guess what this post is about, is to seek out joy in the little things, in the ordinary, that seems extraordinary when we look at it deeply.  Take a break from the difficulties we are all facing, even if just for a day or two.  Rest in the beauty of nature.  Hide in a good book instead or the news or social media before you go to bed.  We all need a little respite from time to time.   I know I do.


Comments

Popular Posts