Preparation







One week from tomorrow I am scheduled to have a total knee replacement.  So, I have been busy in the garden this past week in preparation for being laid up for a bit.   I am hoping to be able to sit on the porch quite a bit while recovering and enjoying watching the garden grow !    Each morning that I have been outside, digging in the dirt, planting a new flower bed under the kitchen windows by the St Swithun climbing rose bushes, tending to the grape vines, feeding the multitude of rose bushes, planting some vegetable seeds in the raised beds, or thinning out the iris and day lilies, I have felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for having the blessings on land with which to garden.   The wisteria filled the morning and evening air with its delightful sweet scent as I watered the roses and the birds sang to me as I sat on the side of the raised beds.  Its the perfect place to pray, to think and to get some exercise.   
I am excited about my upcoming surgery, as I know its step number one on the road to having my hiking life back.  Not looking forward so much to the recovery part as people have told me, its not pain free...but, no pain, no gain as they say.
Along with the gardening, I have been swimming at least 1,000 meters several times a week and doing a lot of bicycling to build up the muscles in my leg.  
I have ordered several books to read and have a good supply of yarn on hand for knitting.  Emery will help me warp the loom so I can sit and weave during my recovery time too.  Aging has its down side, like my knee giving way, but that is a small thing compared to all the blessings that surround me.   Life is good and God is ever watching over me.  I would love some prayer on April the 3rd as the doctor replaces my worn out knee with a brand new replacement.   

 

Comments

Jeanne said…
Good luck Patty -- you'll be in my heart on April 3. I've had both knees replaced. The recovery is a bit challenging, but really worth it in the end!!

Popular Posts