Simplicity In A Complicated World






I thought a bit about this Bible text this morning, from the 4th chapter of Corinthians 'We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed,but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."       It is a complicated world we live in and there are times we all feel "hard pressed on every side".  So many distractions, being pulled in 5 directions at one time.  One week we are told we should not eat or drink this or that, then the next week, the news is the complete opposite. A new study showed that many people have their phones with them for 22 out of every 24 hours.  We are challenged daily with balancing what is politically correct with what our beliefs are.  We are pressed on every side regarding what we need to look like, what we need to "have" in order to keep up with technology.   Its not always easy to find that place where simple living can mesh with all that goes on around us.   Yes, I know some folks are just fine with always saying "no" to the things that steal our peace of mind and the commitment to living simply, but honestly, I think they still must feel some pressure to comply to the standards of modern living.  If you have any contact with people outside of your home, you are bound to sense some level of being pressed on every side to blend in.  I have been living a simple life for decades but I still fight the urge to carry my phone with me to the bathroom or put it on the table next to my bed, grabbing for it at dawns light to see whats new on Facebook.    There are days when I look around thinking, "do I need to think.about getting a "this" or "that".    Then, I walk around the land, soaking in the sounds and sights around me, breathing in the silence, walking slowly, eyes wide open.  A few minutes of that kind of living and I am once again, strong in my commitment to keep things as simple as I can.  Simple living requires us to be well grounded to the earth, to creation, to seeking quiet moments when we can hear, listen, and understand what really counts in life. To comprehend fully, that life is about the very things that money cannot buy.  

Comments

DREAMTIMEMAKES said…
Thank you for your post today. Not sure how or why but yesterday ended up being a 'bad day' reading this has started my day with a smile.

Popular Posts